Outcomes?

Outcomes?

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to give each question an Outcome? Most of our other testing systems allow this so that teachers can give a 30 question test and then see a breakdown of student performance for each major topic (we call them standards).

Also, this is more a gradebook question, but can you get a report of a an individual student's performance in each outcome?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Outcomes?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No. This has been requested several times in the past, but no one has every implemented anything.

There are some issues to solve before this could be implemented properly:

1. How does this work on the quiz editing page (mod/quiz/edit.php) so that teachers can set up quizzes like this, but if they don't want this feature, there is not a lot of extra clutter?
  2. What difference, if any, do students see when attempting and reviewing the quiz?
  3. What changes, if any, are required in the quiz reports?

The first step in implementing this feature is to come up with good answers ot all those questions.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Steve Turley -

Tim,

I have an idea that might provide an elegant solution for this.  We could leave the quiz editing page unchanged, having no additional clutter for teachers who don't want to use the feature.  Then have outcomes be a separate module (like a reporting module).  You would set up an outcomes report, either before or after a quiz is opened in which you would select quiz questions organize by quizzes and associate any question you wanted with one or more outcomes.  Students would see nothing different when they took the quiz, but the separate module could generate a report for teachers and/or students showing their mastery of each component.

This way an outcomes module could be developed independently of quiz modules and it puts no if little burden on quiz developers.

In reply to Steve Turley

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

But surely this would end up duplicating a lot of the quiz code?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Steve Turley -

Maybe a little, but I'm thinking it wouldn't have to be that much duplication. The idea wouldn't be doing a full editing or even full display of the quiz questions, but rather selecting them by title from a list of questions and then connecting that questions with an outcome from another list.  Perhaps a third piece of information applying a scale and/or weighting might be useful too.  I'll take a look at the quiz data structures which I haven't looked at for a while and see if I can create a quick mock-up of what I have in mind.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Colin Matheson -

Thanks for the info Tim,

My 2 cents would be that outcomes could be added to the quiz creation screen via a single dropdown menu. If outcomes aren't enabled then the menu doesn't appear. Even when it appears the menu could default to No Outcome. Some folks might want multiple outcomes per question, but I think it is best to keep it simple. In my mind this is a lot less additional clutter than a feedback editing box for each possible answer.

At first I would say students would attempt and review quizzes as normal. However, I can see an advanced option on the quiz creation screen to turn on linked outcome view during attempt and/or display outcome during review. This information could appear in small font just below the question. Maybe students really only need to see their overall score for each Outcome as part of the total score. Something like: you got 8/12 points overall, your score for each Outcome is:

• 3/4 on Graphing a straight line
  • 3/4 on Finding X intercept
  • 2/4 on Graphing a parabola

For reports, an additional Outcomes report for the teacher would be nice to show the percent each student got for each outcome.