Quiz essay question - auto grade

Quiz essay question - auto grade

by Christopher Peat -
Number of replies: 21

We have lots of quizzes that include the essay type question, and regardless of the answer they are correct - it is self reflection rather than actual grading.

Is there a way of automatically setting an answer to a question as correct?

We are using the latest 1.9 version of Moodle.

Thank you for your time,

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Peat

Re: Quiz essay question - auto grade

by Camille Feast -

I too want would like to know this.  I'd like the ability to build in essay questions that are self-reflective and whereby students can view and/or review their answers automatically.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Camille Feast

by Claire Browne -

Could you use the Short Answer question instead? That way you can define what answer is correctly automatically. If you wanted the text bigger, hack the quiz short answer format.php to make a bigger text box.

In reply to Claire Browne

by Christopher Peat -

Hacking the short answer sounds OK, but wouldnt that be a problem for my regular short answer questions in other courses (or could I put a $course_id type hack into it - not done this before with Moodle)

The second question would be, is there a catch all answer then for a short answer question so that anything is right? If I leave it blank when creating the question I'm sure it throws an error?

Thank you for the help, I feel like we are getting there!

smiles smile

by Claire Browne -

Hello Christopher,

I created a second question type from Moodle essay style questions template.

see link below

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Question_type_plugin_how_to#New_question_type_template_README_file

Then once created, I inputted into the form if a person puts in this word, it is automatically correct. Like the short answer question type works at the moment.

I hope this helps.

by Christopher Peat -

The link doesnt seem to work, has the content been moved somewhere else? I think I must have missed this link by hours... unlucky!

I dont suppose anyone has another link to content elsewhere?

[UPDATE]

The content is now in there, I think it was just being updated. Anyway, just ignore, the link is good to go! Thanks, Chris.

In reply to Camille Feast

by Christopher Peat -

Yes, this is exactly the purpose for us too. We want candidates to be able to enter text as part of the reflection process.

Any clues that help us both get to an answer would be great!

by Christopher Peat -

That's great - the supoprting docs are down so I cant see the link just yet but from what you say it seems like what we are looking for!

Is there a catch all that I could use for the answer so any question is right, or perhaps if I add 'a' that would work?

Awesome! smile

by Claire Browne -

I have never experimented with the catch all by just putting a.

do not be afraid of trying and tampering, if all goes wrong just delete the question.

let us know how you get on.

by Hilary Browne -

Remember to tickthe box at the top "Use Regular Expressions:"

In reply to Hilary Browne

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Hilary : what do you mean? Can you post a screenshot please ?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Christopher Peat -

Yes, the regular expression tip would work... now I'm linking up my dev mind with my moodle mind and it's all coming together. I will hopefully figure this out by early next week and post back.

Thanks guys, simply brilliant!

by Hilary Browne -

I use the short answer tab for these which is where you the regular expressions tick box is - sorry it's not in the essay tab

by Christopher Peat -

Is that in Moodle 2.0 or 1.9? Using Moodle 1.9 the only reg exp question type I can find is this: http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Regular_Expression_Short-Answer_question_type which is an expension of the cloze question rather than a new type of short answer?

by Hilary Browne -

Am using 1.9 - to get to Short Answer select

Add an activity>Lesson>Add a Question Page>choose the Short answer tab

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Christopher,

Sorry, but have you actually read the online documention which you point to in your message? The REGEXP question type is indeed a new type of short answer, not "an extension of the cloze question".thoughtful

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Hilary : that's what I thought. You are mixing up the Quiz activity and the Lesson activity. The "use regular expression" option you mention belongs to the Lesson activity Short answer question type.mixed

Not to be confused with my REGEXP question type, a 3rd-party question type which is not part of the regular distribution of Moodle.

Joseph

by Christopher Peat -

[FILE ATTACHED >>> ]

I've played around with hacking the essay question and looking at the other self answering questions and come up with this (which is just a few lines commented out and another added).

I wonder if anyone would like to take a look and see if any improvements could be made.

It sets the grade to 1 which is a full pass, and should provide the standard feedback to the student. I think it is working?

I also dont know if I need to make any additional changes to the files as it is a direct copy of the essay question.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Is that cpautograde questions type meant for moodle 1.9.x or 2.0?

by Christopher Peat -

Sorry should have said, it's for version 1.9, although probably more for comments and suggestions rather than use as it is very hacky but seems to work from my 30 minutes of testing.

[UPDATE]

I've also noticed that it needs to have the import/export & backup/restore writing as it is a hack of a core question. Probably a bit harder than the initial hack I made. See notes here: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Question_type_plugin_how_to#New_question_type_template_README_file

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not that you can set the maximum mark for any question in the quiz to 0, and then it does not affect the final grade.

However, a default mark for essay questions might be a nice feature to implement. It is not implemented yet.