Mentor Role and Capabilities

Mentor Role and Capabilities

by Edwinna Lucyk -
Number of replies: 2

I created an adviser role in v 1.9 so that a student's adviser could see her grades.  I set the following permissions:

moodle/user/viewuseractivitiesreport - set to allow
moodle/user:viewdetails - set to allow
gradreport/overview:view - set to allow

Advisers were assigned the role of adviser on the appropriate student's profile.

This has been working well.

I am now trying MOODLE 2.0.  I attempted to create an adviser role as described above but while it gives the adviser access to the advisee's profile, it does not give the adviser access to the student's grade report.  The adviser is prompted for an enrollment key.

I tried setting moodle/course:view to allow for the adviser role but that did not help.

I then set moodle/course:view to allow in the system context for all authenticated users.  This did give advisers access to advisee's grades without needing an enrollment key and allowing all authenticated users to see all courses is something we are considering.  Teachers have been requesting that and this might make it easier for parents (no need for individual guest access keys). However, setting moodle/course:view to allow for all authenticated users in the system context caused the problem listed below.

A student who wants to enroll in a course is never prompted to enter an enrollment key since as an authenticated user, the student gets "into" the course to view it without participating. I looked for but couldn't find an "enroll me" option once in the course. Users who were viewing without participation could see resources and the calendar but trying to view an assignment resulted in an error. 

How can I create an adviser role in MOODLE 2.0 that will enable advisers to see their advisee's grades

Being able to view a course without participation would also be great so advisers can see assignment discriptions, resources and upcoming events.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Edwinna

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

Re: Mentor Role and Capabilities

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I had this problem with the parent role in Moodle 2.0 -which I think is the same as your adviser role. I have seen however in the tracker that the problems have been fixed in the last few days (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25805) so it might  be worth your upgrading to try this out- I certainly shall smile