choicegroup activity for Moodle 2.0

choicegroup activity for Moodle 2.0

by Nicolas Dunand -
Number of replies: 49
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

The choicegroup activity module is available for Moodle 2.0. This allows a teacher to set up students to make groups within a course on their own.

The module is available at http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4704

Any comments etc. are welcome.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Nicolas Dunand

Re: choicegroup activity for Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

And here's a video smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nicolas Dunand -

Wow, thanks Mary. That's great!

It really provides valuable information for new users smile

Would you mind me including this video (and crediting you, of course) into the description page of the module?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Carol Dobson -

I've downloaded the latest version through the link on this page and installed it. However, it's staying that the plugin could not be installed as it requires 2011120100 and I have 20110803. Is there somewhere I can download an earlier version?

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Tried the link, but the module for M2 seems not to be approved yet?

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi,

Yes, as I modified the module description the other day, it now needs to be reapproved in order to be visible again.

Here is a link for the download, in the meanwhile : https://github.com/ndunand/moodle-mod_choicegroup

by Doug Smith -

Hi Nicolas, I tried to install this module on Moodle 2.0 and got the following error:

Debug info: Invalid plugin directory name.
Stack trace:
  • line 426 of /lib/upgradelib.php: plugin_defective_exception thrown
  • line 265 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins_modules()
  • line 1426 of /lib/upgradelib.php: call to upgrade_plugins()
  • line 290 of /admin/index.php: call to upgrade_noncore()
In reply to Doug Smith

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi Doug,

Sorry, that's a feature of GitHub I didn't think of: you have to rename the folder with the name "choicegroup".

That should fix the erorr.

by William Lu -

Dear Nicolas,

I got your files from the link you provided. Thanks.

It works on my Moodle2.01. Great.

But, can users make multi choices?

Normally, users can be in more than one groups. It will be good if they can do it from your mod.

Thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

French translation is attached for Moodle 2.x.

I hope I am not mistaken, is one of my first contributions ...

thanks

In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi Luigi,

Thanks a lot for this. I really omitted to do it out of lazyness (French is my mother tongue).

The Github repository is updated with your new translation. I will release a new version soon in the Moodle plugins Directory, featuring this added translation and an upgraded code (hopefully).

by Susana L. -

Hi,

I think we are having an issue on group choice module. If we restrict answering to a period, and if we try to submit after that period we get "Sorry, this activity closed on...". But then if we extend the period, but only the hours (for the same day), in order to get in a valid period, we get the same "Sorry, this activity closed on...".
I hope I was clear enough...
Can you reproduce this issue?
Thank you,
susana

We are using Moodle2.2

by Susana L. -

When a student tries to check which group he chose, he gets a number instead of the group name...
Is it working as expected?

thank you,
susana

In reply to Susana L.

Re: choicegroup activity for Moodle 2

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi Susana,

Thanks for the problem report. Could you update your choicegroup module to the latest version (from GitHub) and see if the problem persists ?

I made a big overhaul of this module in the last weeks, but haven't updated the plugin in the Moodle Plugin Database yet.

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

just for information

the 2.3 works well (and we have now the good groupid in the table)

and there is the french documentation

cheers

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thanks for the module, it proved extremely helpful at the beginning of the year. I had our admin install the latest github version from early september, we have Moodle 2.3.1+.

We had a few issues though with the group limits, I'll try to be as clear as possible but I'm no programmer. Dunno if it's a setup problem from our side or linked to the module... 

- If we set up a limit to the number of students who can choose a group, the limit does not seem work if a lot of students access the module and submit the same choice (e.g. one group with limit 5; 8 students log in, access the module before anybody makes a choice, and then they all submit the same choice.. somehow the limit does not work.

- a student 'IT student) managed to add himself to a group, although the limit was reached. He was quite fair play, we exchanged e-mails and he explained how he did it. (I can PM the student's e-mail - in French - if necessary, but won't explain it here - trying to keep that "hack" as discreet as possible). He suggested adding a server check to see how many students were in the group before validating the choice...

It's a very helpful module, that was the only glitch we had, but it can be confusing for students &teachers if the limit does not work...

Let me know if more info is needed...

In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

by Patrick Pollet -

Hello

> If we set up a limit to the number of students who can choose a group, the limit does not seem work if a lot of students access the module and submit the same choice (e.g. one group with limit 5; 8 students log in, access the module before anybody makes a choice, and then they all submit the same choice.. somehow the limit does not work.

We noticed the very same bug with the original choice activity from which groupchoice is derived. Therefore we suspect that the bug is within the choice part. This indeed happen when many students are simultaneously entering their choices. 

Cheers.

In reply to Patrick Pollet

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thanks for the info. I'll test it out to see if it happens in choice module as well.If it does, I'll file a bug tracker issue, if it has not been done.

But the fact that a (clever) student can bypass the limitation is a bit worrying.

In reply to Patrick Pollet

by Nicolas Dunand -
Hi Patrick and Jean-Luc, Sorry for the inconvenience. I fixed a few issues regarding this in the latest version, a few weeks ago. An update should fix the issues you mention.

by justin darman -

HI there,

is there anyway to sort the table that displays group choices?

for example, the table displays each group option in order of entry. my groups are actually dates, times and states. I would like them to be displayed accordingly and sorted by State and then Date.

It is difficult if i have to update the group choices as they aren't in any sort of order, any help would be much appreciated.

In reply to justin darman

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi Justin, I have no plans on doing such a thing for the moment, but if you could file a new issue in GitHub ( https://github.com/ndunand/moodle-mod_choicegroup/issues ) it'll remind me that this is a wanted feature.

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your precious feedback and issue reports. I've recently updated the plugin to correct some of these issues, so could you please update to the latest version (works in Moodle 2.3-2.5) and tell me of any remaining issues that are not corrected?

A good place to post issues is on the official Moodle Tracker (put me as assignee) or on GitHub ( https://github.com/ndunand/moodle-mod_choicegroup/issues ).

by Rob Woof -

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for this very useful plugin. I have found a neat use for it in situations where marking of an activity is allocated on the basis of which question a student has attempted. The details are in a separate post in this forum if anyone is interested (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=217316).

Cheers,
Rob

by Matt Stewart -

hello - i've installed this plugin and got it working no problem, but when a student selects a group and submits their choice, whilst it does add them to the group, it however stays on that same choice page - a bit confusing i would think as the student may think they haven't been added and it keeps asking for a choice. Is there any way to just send them back to the main course overview once they've submitted their choice?

In reply to Matt Stewart

by Lotta Langer -

Hi Matt, hi Nicolas,

I can confirm this. Unfortunately, we have discovered a few other problems. If a student presses again the confirmation button, he signs out unwittingly from the elected group. This has produced some discussions between teachers and students.

Besides, appears "Extinguish my decision" not as the second Button, but is shown only as a link.

Is there a chance, that these problems are repaired in the next time? We would be very grateful, because the feature basically is very helpful.

In reply to Lotta Langer

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

I second that, thanks for diagnosing this. It seems like that's why some students of mine think they are in a group, but are actually "out".. A bit annoying with groups with limited number of students based on frist come, first serve...

Great plugin in any case, but that part may be confusing

I'll post this in the module page, Nicolas seems to follow the comments there, and file a bug report.

by Colin Campbell -

Hi Nicolas,

Do you have any plans to make a 2.4 version available?

Thanks.

by Amanda Doughty -

Hi Nicolas,

My users have raised this bug:

When creating a new group choice activity, within the "common module settings" there is no option/drop down list for groupings despite the fact it has a tick box option: available for group members only - available to students assigned to groups within a selected grouping

On inspection of the code, I find you have deliberately removed these options (mod_form.php):

$mform->removeElement('groupmode');
$mform->removeElement('groupingid');

What is the reason for this?

by Susana L. -

Hi,

I think we are having an issue with the module...
We noticed that when a student changes the group he/she previously chose, and chooses another group, he/she is not unenrolled from the precedent group. So, we get the same student in more than one group. Is this supposed to happen?

Send you an image attached.

Thank you,
susana

Moodle 2.4.4

same student different groups

In reply to Susana L.

by Susana L. -

Hi,

It is strange no one noticed or reported the problem above!!... But I think I'm testing it correctly... This is one of the features described on the module description:
"Making a choice enrols you in a group, changing your choice unenrols you from the precedent group and enrols you in the new one, and so on..." https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4704

This feature doesn't seem to be working on Moodle 2.4... Did anyone notice this problem??...

Thanks,
susana

In reply to Susana L.

by Peter Diedrichs -

I have a similar problem:

Logged in as a student I get this message when changing group, and it results in the student becoming member of both groups:

Did you remember to make the first column something unique in your call to get_records? Duplicate value '18' found in column 'gid'.
line 1032 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to debugging()
line 327 of /lib/conditionlib.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
line 1698 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to condition_info_section->is_available()
line 337 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to section_info->__construct()
line 1341 of /lib/modinfolib.php: call to course_modinfo->__construct()
line 2789 of /lib/moodlelib.php: call to get_fast_modinfo()
line 26 of /mod/choicegroup/view.php: call to require_login()

I'm using Moodle 2.4.5 and the 1.3.3 Build: 2012111400 version of the plug in.

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

the latest version on Github fixes that, should be committed to the plugin database soon:

github: https://github.com/ndunand/moodle-mod_choicegroup

In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi all, and thanks again for your feedback on this plugin.

And thanks to Jean-Luc for documenting this problem, I'll look into it ASAP.

by Steve McGuire -
I like using cooperative learning groups in my language classes.I have base groups, but I would like to create groups based on who is actually present on a given day each week for a once-a-week class. Attendance can vary by about 25% from week to week. That is, there might be 32 students enrolled and about 24 will attend each week, but it's never the same 24 each week.

The choicegroup looks like something I might be able to use to have students in a given week work together on projects. I wonder if I could create 8 groups of 4 ahead of time for a given week and tell students each week which group to sign into. I use name cards each week that students show when we are doing activities, and I can use those to assign students to groups.

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but assuming I'm on the right track with this idea, I would probably have to create groups for each week, right? "week1 group1," "week1 group2," then "week2 group1," etc. I'm assuming I need different groups for each week because I'm wondering If I change the groups later what would happen to the grades for previous weeks. That is, I couldn't just have Group1, Group2, etc. each week and reset the groups each week because I would lose the grades from the previous week, is that right?

A related question is, if by some astounding chance I'm right about needing different sets of groups each week, is there an upper limit on the number of groups? I can't quite conceptualize whether this would be too unwieldy.

On the other hand, I will probably stick with base groups, but having the option to create groups on the fly might be handy.
In reply to Steve McGuire

by Steve McGuire -
I'm finally in a position where I can play with this and see how it works, since my intuition isn't helping guess what will happen.

Thanks very much for the plugin, though. It's going to be very useful.

by Susana L. -

Hi, we noticed another problem using this module on Moodle 2.4... sad

As you can see on the image attached the number of responses is only 1 and there are 2+1=3 choices (Fill/Capacity).

We are using version 1.3.3 - 2012111400 for Moodle 2.4: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_choicegroup

... Should we use another version? Do you recommend github version for 2.4? https://github.com/ndunand/moodle-mod_choicegroup

Thank you,
susana

Attachment groupchoice-responses.png

by Mike Keyes -

Love the module. I'm on moodle 2.6.4+ and the download formats do not include the idnumber for any of the download formats. The space is there but that data point is not included.

I tweaked the code portion for a text download to include the username (echo $USER->username."\t";). The column name is there but the data is not included.

Not sure why the idnumber is always left blank and the username will not display. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks

In reply to Mike Keyes

by Monica Franz -

Hi Nicolas,

I've upgraded to Moodle version 2.7.3 (Build 20141224) and did so to choicegroup as well.

Thanks for implementing grouping to that plugin.

During testing I also tried the new feature of the plugin and had this results:

1. I made 3 groups A,B,C and created groupings of them. 'A+C' with the groups A and C, and one grouping 'B alleine' with just one group B.

grouping1

In the choicegroup-settings the grouping 'B alleine' didn't show up, but only the group B did. 

choicegroup-grouping1

2. Then with the 3 groups A,B,C I made 3 groupings. The third one named 'B+C' with the groups B and C .

In the choicegroup-settings the grouping 'B alleine' was missing completely but the new grouping showed up.

choicegroup grouping 2

Now, my question is: Is this supposed to be like that?

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Nicolas Dunand -

Hi Monica,

Indeed there appears to be some problem here. Could you please upgrade to the latest version and report back whether the problem persists?

Thanks.

by Susana L. -

Hi Nicolas,

We are using Version build number: 2014010100 with Moodle 2.6, and it seems that the downloaded file on responses report is outputting Group and Choice columns empty. Can you (or anyone) please confirm this issue? Thank you!

Best regards!

susana 

In reply to Susana L.

by Francesca Q -

Susana, yes, we're experiencing your same issue of the Group and Choice columns empty on downloaded file.

We're using Choicegroup 1.8.2 for Moodle 2.7-2.8 (Build: 2015022302) on Moodle 2.8

by Francois Parlant -

Hi,

When I create the activity I see all the groups I have created for each session and each assignment already given. It is a long, long list.

Is there a possibility to limit this list to just one grouping?

Maybe I am doing this in the wrong order. Any advice?

Thanks a lot for your help.

François