In the Moodle I administer, many of the activities for the students are essays of some kind, submitted as a PDF file upload. In a lot of these, the students in a course have a choice of questions, and the faculty divide the marking by question. I have used the Groups and Groupings functions to manage this, but it requires a bit of administrative fiddling on my part to allocate students to groups by question attempted.
The choicegroup activity plugin, combined with Conditional Access and Completion Tracking, allows this administration to be done by the students themselves. The broad-brush idea is this:
- Enable Conditional Access and Completion Tracking at site elvel.
- Enable Completion Tracking in the relevant Course(s).
- In the course(s), set up a group for each question (and a grouping if desired).
- Set up a choicegroup activity with the groups you have just set up. In its Completion tracking, set it to "Show as complete when user makes a choice".
- Set up your assignment activity, and in its Restrict Access section, choose your choicegroup activity and what you want it to affect (I prefer the "Show activity greyed out…", since it makes clear that they student needs to make the choice before they can submit).
The end result looks like this to the student:
This way, the students allocate themselves to groups, ready for marking. If you would like more detailed instructions, feel free to ask.