YouTube Repository Not Displaying within File Picker

YouTube Repository Not Displaying within File Picker

by Chrissie Turkington -
Number of replies: 11

I've created a Moodle 2.0.2 on a stick and it seems to be generally working fine, however I'm having a problem with the YouTube repository.  It's enabled and visible through the Site Admin but whenever I go to add a file within a course, YouTube doesn't appear as an option within the File Picker although other repositories do.  I have tried v 2.0.1 as well and this had the same issue.  Am I doing something wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chrissie Turkington

Re: YouTube Repository Not Displaying within File Picker

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Chrissiesmile Where are you accessing the file picker from? You should see the youtube option if you click on the Moodle media (filmstrip)icon in the TinyMCE editor but if you are going to add a resource>file and clicking on the file picker there, you won't see it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chrissie Turkington -

Thanks I knew I was doing something silly.  Works perfectly.  So far I'm really impressed with Moodle 2.0.  It's much better but still really familiar.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bob Irving -

I'm wrestling with the same issue. While it's true that you can see the youtube videos if you click the Moodle Media button after choosing Add a File, you are still required to add an actual file, which kind of defeats the purpose. Unless I'm missing something?

It actually used to work -- YouTube would show up in the file picker, and you could search on YT. Now it doesn't show up at all.

Ideas? 

We're using v 2.2.2+

In reply to Bob Irving

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm confused Bob - where are you not seeing /or seeing the youtube videos repository? You can search for and add youtube videos anywhere there is the Moodle media button but you shouldn't see it when you click the "add" button when you have selected to add a file.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bob Irving -

Hi Mary. Thanks for the reply.

I do see it when I use the Moodle Media button after choosing Add a file. Then I see the filepicker repository list which includes YouTube. And that works.

However, I am still required to Add a file. If I leave that blank and click Save and return to course, it bumps me back and tells me that Add a file or folder is "required".

How can a file be required if I'm picking a URL?

In reply to Bob Irving

by Nigel Irwin -

Bob, what I think you are trying to do is this:

1. Selecting Add a file resource

2. Adding a youtube video to the description box.

This isnt how you add a video. You need to either use a URL resource type and enter the URL of the video or use the Page Resource type or Label Resource type and add the video through the media icon.

In reply to Nigel Irwin

by Bob Irving -

Thanks, Nigel. That works.

Next question: is there any way to add said YouTube resource to an already existing folder?

In reply to Bob Irving

by Nigel Irwin -

Not that I can see Bob

In reply to Nigel Irwin

by Bob Irving -

Hmm. That's too bad. You can add Moodle Media in the text box, so you can embed YT videos in there.

In reply to Bob Irving

by Nigel Irwin -

True, but the text box you are talking about is the desctiption box about the folder. That would be displayed under the folder name within the topic area and not inside the folder. Therefore the video would appear under the folder not within it.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jaswant Tak -

Mary, you are helping me a lot, you are always my problem resolver. Hats off smile

Cheers