remote Moodle and local Zotero

remote Moodle and local Zotero

by Erik Ringmar -
Number of replies: 3
Hi,

I'm using Moodle online but distributing the readings for the course via a synching to a Zotero bibliographical database. That way all the reading automatically show up on the students' computers. Neat!

However, I haven't figured out how to integrate Moodle and Zotero. Since Moodle is on my server and the files on the students' computers, I would need a way to hyperlink from the server to the local computers. The Moodle page would in this respect operate as an indexing tool for files that are stored locally.

Does anyone have any experiences of these kinds of things?

yours always,
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erik Ringmar

Re: remote Moodle and local Zotero

by Derek Chirnside -

This is amateur advice.  I'm not really an expert here.

I do not think this is possible for security reasons.  We tried to do this a few years ago: deliver "content" via CD and link to it via a web page.  Save bandwidth.  But the implications of allowing internet to access local hardware was considered too risky and the next version of browsers shut off this functionality

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Erik Ringmar -
Hi, thanks, that makes sense I guess. I hadn't thought of the security aspect. I guess I'll have to find some other way.

Erik
In reply to Erik Ringmar

by Stephen Harlow -

The simplest way to integrate Moodle and Zotero is to create a "smart reading list". You copy-and-paste your Zotero bibliography as HTML into a Moodle web page or label. Students can then capture the references into their own Zotero libraries. When they visit the Moodle resource they will see the familiar "Save to Zotero" icon in the address bar.

If you are using a Zotero group students can join the group, synchronise with the group library and even add their own readings. You could publish the group library dynamically within Moodle as a simple web page or, using the group's RSS feed, as a Moodle RSS block.