Moodle for School Websites

Moodle for School Websites

by Dean Shareski -
Number of replies: 4
Our school division is looking to find a CMS that would allow a single installation and be able to generate sites for 45 different schools. We'd like each school/site to be able to choose its own theme and administer there sites separately. We're looking at Drupal and some others as well

It looks like Moodle can also do this. I had trouble finding examples of school districts that have done this. Can someone:
  1. Point me to some/any school district examples? I'm not interested in examples that are for courses or add ons to sites. I'm looking for school districts using moodle exclusively.
  2. Discuss their experiences using and installing this type of setup.
Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dean Shareski

Re: Moodle for School Websites

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle is more Virtual Learning Environment than Content Management System, although the functionalities do overlap in places. What are you looking for in the systems you will be setting up?

If education specific functionality is a core requirement (e.g. quiz tests) then  CMS systems such as Drupal, a Nuke Derivative, GeekLog etc etc are not appropriate. If Content Management in the form of full story/editing/content/contribution/moderation are core requirement Moodle may not be the ideal choice.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Alejandro Gomez -
I have used Moodle in 3 different projects, where Education/training is not the main function at the initial stage of the project. Why?
Projects can't afford "changing" the system two, three or four years down the road. This implies a new learning curve to the users (who aren't computer savy, which is the case in a school board, school admins, teachers...). Implementing a computer system in an educational organization has ALL the potential to create so much animosity (noise) within the organization, that you might as well decide and use a technology that has the tools to contribute to education.

Build the skills you need to run a system, with a system that serves your long term goal: EDUCATION!

I opted for Moodle, and encourage you to do so.
In reply to Alejandro Gomez

by Nick Syed -

You might want to test drive 'Moodle' or 'Sakai' (another open source CLMS) by calling 603 661 7498. We are currently working with NH schools using our SaaS and Installed model. Glad to help