New experimental forum search in CVS

New experimental forum search in CVS

by Tony Hursh -
Number of replies: 8
You can find it in contrib/awhsearch.

It should work okay with 1.4.3. The README file gives instructions for installation.

The following search constructs are supported:

some random phrase --> searches for posts containing all of the words "some", "random" and "phrase" (anywhere in the post).

"some random phrase" --> searches for posts containing "some random phrase" with the words in that exact order.

+word --> searches for posts containing the exact word (i.e., +foo will only match posts with the word "foo", not ones with "food").

-word --> searches for posts that do NOT contain the word.

user:John --> searches for posts where the user's name contains John. Matches both first and last name, so user:John would match both John Smith and Jim Johnson.

These constructs can, of course, be combined.

Please let me know if you encounter any bugs. I hope to get this ready for inclusion in 1.5.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tony Hursh

Re: New experimental forum search in CVS

by Martín Langhoff -
Nice! Is it using MySQL-specific SQL? Do we have any hopes of having it working on Postgres?
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Tony Hursh -
Hi, Martin. I put in some code for Postgres, but it hasn't actually been tested. I'm planning to install PostgreSQL on another machine here soon so I can test it.

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Tony Hursh -
Do we have any hopes of having it working on Postgres?

It seems to be working okay in PostgreSQL 8.0.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Michael Penney -
Hi Tony, great news!

Do you have any plans to make it possible to search for posts with attachments?

This would make it easier for folks who use forums to post files they are working on (though probably mostly so here, when folks post code patchs & snippets to forums).

Thanks!
Michael
In reply to Michael Penney

by Tony Hursh -
That'd be useful, all right. I'll look into doing that. Thanks!

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thank you very much Tony, that will make working with the knowledge base here at moodle especially a much less time consuming activity.

I guess title:"experimental forum search," would be nice to have too.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Tony Hursh -
It does search the titles as well as the bodies. The ability to narrow in specifically on the title is definitely in the works.

Thanks!
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Tony Hursh -
Anyone tried it out yet? Any problems? Other suggestions? I'm going to try to get this wrapped up over the weekend, so speak up now. smile