Can I use my old database.

Can I use my old database.

by Athena Winchester -
Number of replies: 3
I put in a brand new version of Moodle, (the latest stable) and was wondering if I could point the new installation at the old database or if I could dump the sql from the old database into the new one.  It's just that I can't use the back up feature and don't want to lose all the work I have done. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Athena Winchester

Re: Can I use my old database.

by Sean Keogh -
You can do this, and the new code should detect the old version of the database and perform any updates that might be required to make it compatible with the new code.

However it is always a good idea to have a copy of the database first, just in case something goes wrong.

If you can't use the built-in Moodle backup, can you install and use a stand-alone version of php-myadmin and backup the database using that?

Sean K Beardie
In reply to Sean Keogh

by jobe jobe -
Sean,
I'm trying to do this at the moment. I have set up a new installation - all fine. I have a copy of another MySQL database. How do I incorporate it into the new installation? Thanks.
In reply to jobe jobe

by Sean Keogh -
Do you mean a copy of another Moodle MySQL database?

You would need to tell PHPMyadmin to merge the data into the existing database, and that could be tricky, because parts of the Moodle database contain configuration information for Moodle, and if you accidentally overwrote that, then you new Moodle might fail to work.

What format is your database copy in?  A SQL text file?

Sean K