Thumbs down hand icon in test question?

Thumbs down hand icon in test question?

by Bill Kopf -
Number of replies: 9

We are using 1.9.8+ and I have a professor who suddenly has an icon which appeared in only one of her quiz questions. How do I get rid of the hand art/icon? How did it appear in the question or what does it indicate?

Attachment quiz hand.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Kopf

Re: Thumbs down hand icon in test question?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Your professor must have typed something like:

Decisions about ethical situations often present a ( n )

without spaces between the parentheses and the letter n, of course...

which gives:

Decisions about ethical situations often present a No

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Bill W. -

I can attest that putting an 'n' inside parentheses will result in the 'hands down' syndrome.....like this .... No.

I merely add spaces between the parentheses and the n. It doesn't look quite as nice but the original intent is then shown.... ( n )

In reply to Bill W.

by Bill Kopf -

Thank you, Thank you. That cleared it up. Never would have figured that was the cause.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Bill Kopf -

Your answer solved my problem. Thanks! A new day... something new learned. Success!

In reply to Bill Kopf

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Bill.

My guess is that she copied and pasted and some of the code got mixed up somewhere so that whatever punctuation was surrounding the text where the thumb icon is created that icon in the HTML editor. (Joseph posed what that combo might have been while I was typing this.)

To edit it out, toggle <> or HTML for the HTML editor (pending your theme choices for turning off the editor in that window) so that you can remove the code (or show her how to do it because chances are this will happen to her again if she is using texts she wrote outside of Moodle and she will need to know how to fix it in the future).

This is my guess...Hope that is it as it is a really simple fix.  Let us know.

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Bill Kopf -

Lesli,

Thanks! I  appreciate the quick response. I would have never figured it out.

In reply to Bill Kopf

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Note that you can change the list of what is subsituted by going to

Site administration ► Appearance ► HTML settings

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jaime McLeod -

I had this problem and that fixed it for me. Are there any plans to remove this default setting? It was embarrassing to have these popping up all over our tests. It took awhile to figure out what was going on and how to fix it. Putting No in a quiz question is fairly common.

In reply to Jaime McLeod

by Russell Waldron -

On that HTML settings page, you could remove ( n ) from the table of codes that will be automatically replaced by emoticons.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Emoticon_images_2.0

I hoped it might be possible to stop the conversion by prefixing an escape character such as slash but, sadly, no. E.g. type / ( n ) without spaces, and you just get /No .