Linking to repository files - rather than copying

Linking to repository files - rather than copying

by Ian Wild -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

There was a good discussion going on in Mark Drechsler's blog on linking to/copying from files in repositories: http://www.markdrechsler.com/?p=504#comment-2461

On my last post (link above) I was wondering if linking to files (rather than copying) was on the roadmap?

I thought it was thoughtful... but I might have hallucinated that clown.

Does anyone know, exactly?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Wild

Re: Linking to repository files - rather than copying

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Ian,
May be you have already found the answer, but you can now link to the files in 2.0.   Installation needs to be set up to allow external linking.

Plus you can continue to utilise Legacy Course files area,assuming you are ok with security risks, as a build-into Moodle course-level repository.  (also needs to be enabled)

Take a look here. Does it help?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Ian Wild -

Hi Elena,

Thanks for your reply. The list of repository types and what you can and can't link to is really useful! Thanks for that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Installation needs to be set up to allow external linking". What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

In reply to Ian Wild

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Ian,

I you have admin access, you can go to the Settings block > Site Administration > Repositories > Common repository settings.
Check what 'Allow external links' is set for.  If it is set to Yes, then users when they try to embed something from a repository with the text editor, will see an option to  "link externally".
(We have also checked "Legacy course files in new courses", because we need course-level repository right in Moodle to replicate exact 1.9 behaviour).

If you are using Add  A Resource option and not the text editor, then you will need to re-educate the users about the new Moodle functionality.
e.g. 1.9 Link to a File or Website can be achieved with 2. 0 URL resource, but not with 2.0 File resource

I have added a table here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=172245#p760162 for better visualization smile

by Elena Ivanova -

p.s. Some people can wonder about synchronization feature.

e.g. If you decide to copy (Add a File) from some repository, and the original file is updated in that repository, its copy should be updated in Moodle too.

That would be ideal, but it is not here.

by Ian Wild -

Hi,

I've got the Common repository settings configured as they should be but I don't see the "link externally" option when I add a link via the text editor. Would it be possible for you to upload a screen grab so I can see where you mean?

Many thanks in advance,

Ian.

In reply to Ian Wild

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ian. Here's "two I made earlier" Legacy course files and Flickr:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)