How do we link to an existing directory in 2.0?

How do we link to an existing directory in 2.0?

by Mary Parke -
Number of replies: 6

We used to just go to add a resource>link to a file or directory and choose the directory.

I can't replicate this in 2.0. If I go to add a resource> folder - then I have to rebuild a folder I already have in my private files space. Doesn't make sense to me...

Help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Parke

Re: How do we link to an existing directory in 2.0?

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Mary,

Such Resource type as a Directory does not exist in Moodle 2.0 anymore.
I would probably use a workaround: Create a Page right inside moodle, and add a list of files there, using the Text editor.

Please be aware of this bug though: MDL-26388, you might want to link to files instead of copying (as long as your installation allows external linking, and your files are not sitting in private files)

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Derek Chirnside -

Mary,

The Moodle 2.0 term for directory is a folder.

Add a resource > folder.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Derek,
I believe Mary is asking about how to link to a folder located somewhere else.
This is not possible in 2.0, since you can only copy files into the "Folder resource".
One can still either link to a file in 2.0 (Add a Resource > URL), or use the new way and  copy from a repository (Add a Resource > File). But one cannot link to a folder sitting in the repository, and has to add a Folder Resource and copy files into it.

So, 1.9 Directory is gone, and 2.0 Folder Resource is a new species.  wink

1.9 2.0
Link to a File
(link to a file sitting in repository/course files)
URL (link)
n/a File resource (copy)
Directory
(link to a folder sitting in repository/course files)
n/a
n/a Folder resource (copy)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mary Parke -

Hello everyone!

Yes, Elena is correct - I'm trying to figure out how to link to an existing directory that already resides in a repository without having to recreate it using the new Folder resource.

Since we have trained our faculty to upload mass files as .zips (and unzip them in Moodle file directory) in the past, we really don't want to make them rebuild the folder when it already exists.

It seems counter-intuitive to make them recreate the directory and select files to upload to it when it already exists, especially when using a file repository system like Alfreso or even Mahara integration and the directories are already out there and even being shared between courses and faculty.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Mary

In reply to Mary Parke

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Mary,
Do you know what type of repository you will be using in your installation? Since the suggestion can be different because of that. smile

I am not sure how Alfresco behaves there, but let's imagine you do have a folder there with files (and you have correct/matching access permissions both in Moodle and Alfresco).  I assume there is a way to go and grab the direct URL of that folder? If so, do Add a Resource > URL in Moodle and copy/paste the URL there.
Yes, it would require an extra step of opening 2 browser windows, since you will not be able to link from Moodle File Picker to a folder. ;)

p.s. I have noticed that you were previously talking about using private files area as a repository. Please note that  your users will always copy files from there, so they will need to remember to update every course afterwards with new file version if needed.  It is not possible to link to anything located in private files.

by Mary Parke -

Thanks Elena!

Yes - we're moving away from the "private files" area to using an Alfresco integration. Hmm...using link to url just might work....

Lots to retrain with this new repository model...!

Again, thanks for the suggestion! Now I'll have to test it!

smile Mary