New Question Type: Imagedit - Student can edit an Image that a teacher provided using an online free editing service (Pixlr.com)

New Question Type: Imagedit - Student can edit an Image that a teacher provided using an online free editing service (Pixlr.com)

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Imagedit question type, Allow the teacher to present an image from the course's file storage and display it for editing by the students using an online image editing service - pixlr.com . grading should be given manually.

During the quiz the student is asked to click on the image to edit it.
The image is sent to the remote pixlr.com (flash client) editor with a unique user key (Moodle user's authentication key)
and after the remote editing session is done, the image is sent back to Moodle and saved inside the course's file storage
under a special "user" folder with a unique "quiz + question-attempt + user-key" name and linked as an answer to the specific question in the specific quiz attempt.
The teacher can review this modified image and part of the quiz attempt and grade it manually.
Since questions are saved inside the course's files storage, all answers are backed up with the course.

Imagedit question type is based on the "File Response" question type by Adriane Boyd (thank you Adriane!)

With minor change of code, it is possible to use other Online Image Editing services and tools like: Aviary.com
(and other: http://innodevel.net/head-over-clouds/2011/03/four-open-source-online-image-editors/)

Here is a video that shows the question in action:

Here is a link to the Imagedit on Moodle Modules database.

and a link to the Imagedit on the Tracker, for submitting bug reports.

Attched is the latest version of the question type.
Updated packages can always be found at:
https://github.com/nadavkav/RTL-BIDI-Hebrew-Moodle-Plugins/blob/master/question/type/imagedit.tar.gz
Updated code at:
https://github.com/nadavkav/RTL-BIDI-Hebrew-Moodle-Plugins/tree/master/question/type/imagedit

I would LOVE some feedback

Enojy

Attachment thumb_moodle-question-type-imagedit-01.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

Re: New Question Type: Imagedit - Student can edit an Image that a teacher provided using an online free editing service (Pixlr.com)

by Itamar Tzadok -

Interesting concept. I guess the main question is how such a question could be used in assessment, that is, what could be assessed with it? The particular example you offer in the video demonstration requires the student to identify a certain item/area in the image. Unless the manual circling (or some other such manipulation of the image) is the learning objective, this could be done more effectively and marked automatically (!) if the image is mapped such that the student should click in the right place. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: New Question Type: Imagedit - Student can edit an Image that a teacher provided using an online free editing service (Pixlr.com)

by Tammy Moore -

I can see potential in math courses and some science courses!

Showing work (math), geometry, even ease in writing chemical equations (all those subscripts and supscripts make chemical equation input a little daunting), concept mapping-based assessment, art submissons, art analysis. etc.

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Itamar smile

It was developed to support a Math "open" questions on several DL Math courses for kids which are part of the Davidson Institution for Science (Wiezmann Institue) distant learning portal.

It's like and "open" (essay) question but for drawing.

The Pixlr Editor is an overkill. we are looking for a much simpler open source tool.

If you know one, please let me know smile

btw, i have added the pixlr editor as a button on the toolbar of HTMLAREA (MDL-2730) so it can be used anywhere. outside the context of a quiz.

by Velson Horie -

Thank you - the first real step away from the strait jacket of Moodle's text based interface.

My students still have to send me their chemical experimental reports as physical pages of text, pictures, equations, etc.   I then have to annotate their reports graphically and return by post.

International post is getting really bad.  So if you can develop this so that both students and teachers have a graphical interface for creating/ annotating graphical objects, that would be wonderful.

Automating assesssment and marking by image analysis might be good, but for me it is less important than having an embedded graphical interface for interaction.

by tim larcombe -

this module lookes very interesting. Is there going to be a version for moodle 2.0

In reply to tim larcombe

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

Sure! When i get some free time smile

by Russell Waldron -

Yes, I'm looking for both - detect where a student clicked, and collect graphic annotations by a student - to test 1000 engineering students a year on their ability to read, evaluate and correct technical drawings.

by Faiçal Naoui -
HI, how to install this plugin for Moodle 2 ? i'm using windows os thanks Faiçal

by Lucy Walshaw -

HI Nadav,

here is a screen shot of the error with firebug turned on as well