Assigning User Context Roles on Bulk Upload

Assigning User Context Roles on Bulk Upload

by Margo Williams -
Number of replies: 7

Hello.

We have a corporate training Moodle site up and running where each User (Student or otherwise) is assigned a Supervisor in their User Context (the Roles button in their profile). If you were to do this for one person (rather than a bulk upload of many), you would find the User's profile, click the Roles tab, and manually assign their Supervisor.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way I can include the assignment of this Role within my Except spreadsheet when I bulk upload Users. If not, it looks like there's a lot of tedious data entry in my future...

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. Yes, I know you can write a program that does this from the server side but I would like to know if there's a better, more user-friendly way of doing this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margo Williams

Re: Assigning User Context Roles on Bulk Upload

by ben reynolds -

Margo,

I'm not sure I understand. On the Roles tab in Profile is where you would assign a role or roles to your User. You can't assign another person to a User in the User's profile.

I think what you want is that each user is assigned to a supervisor the way a student would be assigned to a teacher?

If so, then you can use groups to assign a Supervisor to a bunch of Users.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Margo. Do you mean in the way a mentor or parent is assigned to a student/child and they use the mentees block to get to that user? If so, then I don't know of any way to bulk assign/upload these I'm sorry.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Margo Williams -

But aren't Groups created at the course level? I want something that works at the site-level.

Essentially what we're doing is assigning Supervisors so we can use the Mentors Block so Supervisors can see whether or not their subordinates have completed courses. So every time I add in new users, I have to manually assign their Supervisor and that gets exhausting or I ask a programer to run a code but I'd like to simplify this process.

For me, if you go to the Roles tab in a person's profile, you can select the Supervisor role(or Teacher, I guess) and select a person. When I do that, that selected person (Supervisor) then has the person who's profile I edited (Subordinate) in their Mentor block.

In reply to Margo Williams

by ben reynolds -

Totally forgot the Mentees block.

If the programmer has written the code, would it not be a short step to put a front end on it for users? If you could achieve that, you would revolutionize life for K-12 Moodlers. I don't use Mentees because we've got more than 12K users in our Moodle.

In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -

Idea for a work around. How do you know when someone has completed a course? If you know the answer to that, you make your supervisors Teachers and just let them see the completion activity in course admin > reports.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Margo Williams -

While it would be nice to tell them to do that, they aren't the umm...most computer savvy? They need it in one place. Plus, supervisors can only see THEIR subordinates, not everyone's.

But you're right, I'll probably end putting a front end on the programmer's code. We seem to be doing that a lot... Oh well!

Thanks for your ideas!