Calculating the overall course pass rate

Calculating the overall course pass rate

by Richard Joyce -
Number of replies: 7

Moodle 1.9

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I think it is a simple problem that I can't solve due to inexperience.

I have a simple course of 4 modules.  Each module has a quiz with 10 questions.  The pass mark for each module is 70% and the overall course passmark is 70%.

I have set up each quiz with 10 marks per question. So each quiz is marked out of 100.

So the course total will be 400 and the pass mark for the course will be 280.

All nice and simple so far but I have two issues -

1. Where do I set the overall pass mark for the course?
  2. I can't see how to aggregate the module scores correctly.  In order to pass a student must achieve at least 70% on EACH module.  How do I set this?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Richard

In reply to Richard Joyce

Re: Calculating the overall course pass rate

by Richard Joyce -

OK. I managed to set the overall passmark for the course via the grades items but I still have a problem with how to specify that a student needs to pass EACH module (a quiz) in order to pass.

At the moment I have 4 quizes with 100 marks each and a 70 pass mark on each quiz.

The overall pass mark is 70% so the course pass mark is set to 280.

However at the moment a stent coulsd get 100 in three modules and nothing in the fourth and still achive a pass mark.

Do I set this via the calculation for the course total by adding IF statements or something?

Help please!

Thanks,

Richard

by Tegan Smith -

Hi Richard,

I found this:

Weighted grade calculations where item 1 is weighted 30%, item 2 is weighted at 60% and item 3 is weighted at 200%: =sum(1*0.3,2*0.6,3*2)

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Edit_grade_calculation

So for your calculations you will need

=sum(Quiz1*0.25,Quiz2*0.25,Quiz3*0.25,Quiz4*0.25)

(note - there are square brackets around the Quiz1 etc doesn't seem to show refer to link above to see how should look.)

and set the overall pass mark to be 70 for the course.

Hope it helps,

Tegan

In reply to Tegan Smith

by Richard Joyce -

Hi Tegan,

Thanks for your reply.  I tried this but it still doesn't work.  i.e. With this calculation, if the student has completed 3 modules and scored 100% in each then his overall course grade is showing as 75% which is a pass.

THis means that he could get 0% in Module 4 and still pass.

Whereas what I want to do is ensure that a student attains at least 70% in EVERY module in order to attain a pass.

THis is causing me a reall headache but I'm sure I'm not the first person who has wanted to set up this way?!

Thanks,

Richard

by Itamar Tzadok -

Here is one possible approach.

Add an auxiliary category. Add 4 manual grade items, one for each quiz item and place them in the category. For each item set the min to 0 and max to 1. Set the formula of each item to something like:

=[[respective_quiz] ]-69

Set the category aggregation method to 'Lowest grade'.

Now, the grade of this category will be 0 if at least one of the modules is below 70, and 1 if all are 70 and above. And so you have a flag which you can use either for display purposes or for further grade manipulations.

(You can hide the category and all its items or only the items, depending on how you use the flag)

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Richard Joyce -

Thanks Itamar.  I think I am going to set up something like that for the next iteration of this course as I don;t have time to work it out at the moment being a bit of a novice.

I think something like you have mentioned plus also adding in a pass / fail scale so that just "Pass" or "Fail" appears in the gradebook would be the best way to go.

Need to do some reading firts though!

THanks again,

Richard

by Tegan Smith -

Hi Richard,

Late night calculations sorry about that.
If you don't mind the overall mark not reflecting the true overall mark percentage then you can set the grade category to be Lowest grade then it will display what ever is the lowest grade obtained in any of the quizes.

Eg. If quiz 1, 2 & 3 got 100% in each and quiz 4 got 0% then your overall grade would be 0%

Sorry couldn't help more.

Tegan

In reply to Tegan Smith

by Richard Joyce -

Hi Tegan,

Thanks for your reply.  A very pragmatic solution and works perfectly!

All I need to do now is work out a way of notifying the teacher by email when a student has reached a pass mark.  Not sure if this is possible and probably one for another thread.

Thanks again,
Richard