More user friendly file upload process

More user friendly file upload process

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

MDL-26902

We've seeen lots of users that are confused with file uploading. They don't understand that an uploaded file that is shown in thelist of files has to be confirm by 'save changes' button.

I tried to  change the page to make it easier to understand.

Whats  changed?

An additional text line gives advice to confirm upload.

Button 'Save changes' is directly below the text information and 'Cancel' button is moved to the right.

Please vote at tracker MDL-26902

Attachment upload2.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: More user friendly file upload process

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I've been annoyed by the same thing. I have even done enough Moodle 2.0 development to understand where this weird behaviour comes from. (With the files API, you always edit in a draft area.)

I don't think your proposed solution is very good, however. Add in a message saying "Our UI sucks, please do what we expect, not what you would naturally do." (I paraphrase) is not a proper solution.

Can we make it so that there is no draft area, that you always edit the real files? That would mean that no matter what you did (just navigated to another page, had your browser crash, etc.) your edits would not be lost.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim

you're right that this can't be the final solution.  Petr wrote in tracker that this needs lots of changes in fil api and my idea was a quick interim solution that user don't run into problems.

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Elena Ivanova -

I agree with the quick "fix" by adding a warning message.
And even tough I hate pop-ups angry, this is a situation where a pop-up can be appropriate.
If the user tries to navigate out of the page via the browser, the page could state: Hey , you have not saved your changes yet.
(Not sure how tricky this would be to develop).

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Mark Hilliard -

Hi Elena,

I see you are still at working trying to improve the Moodle file picker UI.

Thanks for all you hard work!!

Mark H.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Russell Waldron -

You know how users detest the seemingly endless prompts for confirmation in Windows Vista? The [Confirm] button hints that the FP interface is not ready for end-users.

The [Confirm] button signals that the 'cost' of trusting the user is too high. (By cost I mean the erosion of the user's confidence and productivity while trying to discover and rectify their mistakes.) The few users I have shown it to are all accustomed to easily reversible file-management on their desktop (which WebDAV approximates); Moodle2 file-picker actions are not so easily reversible.

On top of that, the [Confirm] button is another point where user error (forgetting to confirm) or technology failure (interrupted browser session) has real potential to waste user time - especially for those who rely on collaborators in course construction.

I'm very sorry to criticise.