different lesson every week

different lesson every week

by N S -
Number of replies: 4

I'm working on an online psychology course.

The course material is about 80 weeks long.

For each week there's like 1-2 hours of video.
I want my students to only see the video lessons of whatever week they are on.  So the student at week 5 would only see week 5 videos, etc.

I also want them to be able to start the course whenever they want.  So someone could start in may, someone else would start in august, etc...  whenever they want.  So each student would take the course seperately on their own time.

I've been thinking about this for weeks.  And researching like crazy.  I couldn't figure out how i could do something like this.

How can this be done?  Any creative solutions are appreciated smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to N S

Ang: different lesson every week

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You do not mention you version of Moodle, but in Moodle 2.0 there is a new feature: Conditional activities, which allows you to "restrict the availability of any activity according to certain conditions such as dates, grade obtained, or activity completion."

In reply to N S

Re: different lesson every week

by Kimber Warden -

Wow, 80 weeks is a long course! Is it really 80 weeks? Or 80 topics?

If it's really important that the Week 5 material be viewed only during the 5th week a student has been enrolled, (meaning that merely making Week 5's availability dependent on the completion of Week 4's material isn't an acceptable solution), you could consider using groups to create cohorts. For example, all students who begin in September are in the "September" cohort, or even more specifically, all the students who begin the 1st week of September are in the "September Week 1" cohort. The downside is that this requires more effort to manage the enrollments.

In reply to N S

by N S -

Thanks for the tips guys!

I can use either version of Moodle.   I'll look into the tips you gave me.
Yes the course is about 80 weeks.  (we recorded it in 2 years).
To make it a little more complicated, each week's lesson will only be visible monday, wednesday, saturday from 10am-1pm and 6pm-10pm on the given week.

I was thinking of programing several content rotation scripts and put them into multiple iframes.  So there's a daily rotator for the classroom open/close times, a weekly rotator for the different weeks lessons, and another for each individual students pace in which they take the lessons.

Hopefully Moodle will help me make this much more simple.

In reply to N S

by Russell Waldron -

Interesting constraints, NS. I am intrigued because it sounds like you have an unusual objective.  "Self-paced learning" is often said to be beneficial for adult learners. Are the time slots for pedagogical reasons (e.g. intended to force students to view the video simultaneously and interact synchronously), or are they for intellectual property reasons?