Powerbook G4 - PHP - MySQL - Can't install

Powerbook G4 - PHP - MySQL - Can't install

by Jonathan Gravois -
Number of replies: 6
I am setting up a development platform (or at least trying).

I am using a POWERBOOK G4 running OS 10.3.6

I enabled PHP, tested it and it works fine.

I installed MySQL and was able to add the moodle database through the command line (Terminal).

I began the moodle install. It proceeded well until the screen where I configure the database. I entered (database) mysql >>(host server) localhost >> (user) mysql.

When I click NEXT, I get this error:

We could not connect to the database you specified. Please check your database settings.

I am following the provided installation instruction closely. I can't find a reference to this nor a solution.

Please help!

JWG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Gravois

Re: Powerbook G4 - PHP - MySQL - Can't install

by Urban Breen -
Hi

I believe the database has to be named "moodle". I have the same setup and that worked for me. See below.

Hope that helps.

began the moodle install. It proceeded well until the screen where I configure the database. I entered (moodle) mysql >>(host server) localhost >> (user) mysql.

Urban

by Michael Richardson -
I have set up multiple Moodle installs on Macs and they work fine.

IMHO, the trickiest bit is setting up the MySQL database properly and getting the permissions straight. That may be your problem. Here are a few tips that might help with that:

1. Marc Liyanage has some excellent notes on MySQL installation at:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

I can't recommend his site enough.

2. Be sure that you have closely followed the instructions at:

http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=install.html

regarding MySQL setup and permissions.

3. Once you've created this database up and set the permissions, don't forget the all important step of FLUSHING your PRIVILEGES. Until you do this, MySQL will quietly go along with the previous set of privileges, which do not include the ones you just set up for your moodle database.

4. Another excellent resource I've found for MySQL in general, especially on a Mac is the Visual QuickStart Guide, MySQL by Larry Ullman. Lots of excellent examples are given, and the screen shots are from a MacOSX sytem. I keep a copy at work and another one at home so that I am never far away from it.

FWIW, one can actually have multiple simultaneous moodle databases working quietly and happily on the same MySQL server. I have set this up on several of our Mac servers. They work fine, and don't even know that each other are there. smile The main trick with this is to create separate MySQL databases for each site and also give each site its own unique cookie ID in the moodle setup.

Regards,

Mike

by Mark Stevens -
In addition to the great advice already given, there's more at http://moodle.org/wiki/index.php/StepByStepInstallMoodleOnMacintosh

I agree that the database can be the ugliest hurdle (and I have the same book which made it make sense smile. The first time I got Moodle running I had to use MySQL's "test" database and the "root" user because I couldn't get MySQL to play nice. You can always go back and change these in your database and config.php file later.

What we really need is someone to take some screen shots or videotape themselves installing Moodle on a Mac... If someone will buy me a Mac Mini I'll volunteer smile

Any progress?
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Tony Hursh -
What we really need is someone to take some screen shots or videotape themselves installing Moodle on a Mac...

Here's a first cut at something like that.

If anyone notices errors, please let me know.

(oh, and I'd also be willing to accept a Mac mini. smile)

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Mark Stevens -
Tony,

You are brilliant.  I think that should be made part of the official documentation somehow.  Who do we talk to?

Question:  What software did you use to make it?  And to set up the html page?

Again, simply brilliant!
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Tony Hursh -
Thanks, Mark. I used this, which is a piece of software I wrote over the Christmas break. It's still pretty rough around the edges, but usable.