Usability: breadcrumb error; can't go back 1 level

Usability: breadcrumb error; can't go back 1 level

by Chris Adams -
Number of replies: 9

FYI,

I can't navigate back 1 level in my Moodle 2 course (see pic below)

I have to go back 2 levels, click on assignments, navigate to the relevant assignment link (if I can remember it) to return to where I was. Which is a 30 sec turnaround with our awfully slow host/ connection speeds.

Short-term I can use the browser back button but that doesn't address the fact the breadcrumb navigation is faulty.

Anyone had similar?

Chris.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Chris Adams

Re: Usability: breadcrumb error; can't go back 1 level

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is not a breadcrumb trail, it is a location indicator. The location shown is a canonical one for this page, not a record of the links you followed to get there.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hello Tim,

we discussed exactly this during usability workshop this week with German users. The expectation if a breadcrumb is clicking to each subaspect. So its confusing if it is not possible.  The location indicator should be clickable if it is a course week/topic name. The indicator 'course' should link to  the list of 'my courses' and so on.

As minimal solution it should be possible  to hide location indicators by administrational settings. In 1.9 it was possible to hide activity name in breadcrumb.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I seem to remember that years ago in the infancy of Moodle we had un-ending discussions in these forums about the "true nature" of that breadcrumb trail being a breadcrumb or a "location indicator" as you say.

Even if you say that it's not a breadcrumb, it still looks like one to the end-users who will expect it to behave as such. And no, I don't want to start that un-ending "trail" again.clown

In reply to Chris Adams

by Audrey Kumi -

Hello Chris,

My supervisor and I are facing this same problem and we have tried our best to find a solution but to no avail and as a result I am very much interested in what others have to say in regard to solving this.

In reply to Audrey Kumi

by Oleg Sychev -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

This thing concerns course section/week link. The cause of this is MDL-24599. Previous problem was even worse for usability.

The way it was fixed is somewhat clumsy, I offered better (and still easy to implement) way on 22 october comment.

If any of you guys want to try to convince Moodle developers to apply better solution I wish you luck. For me the problem is not severe enought to write solution code - and since several my pattches for more serious problems rot without attention on the tracker, writing new code to rot is senseless.

In reply to Chris Adams

by Stuart Lamour -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chirs,

at Sussex we managed to make the breadcrumb behave like a user would expect it to with some simple hacks in 1.9.

We have also ported this to 2.0.

I get Tim's point that for developers and admin a location indicator properly showing where you are in the hierarchy/tree is useful but when testing with our users they were unfamiliar with this concept.

They seemed to indicate they would like a standard breadcrumb which acts the same way as other sites, and are confused by not being able to click on a link in the breadcrumb and sections such as 'General' or 'Resources' appearing which should probably not be exposed to the user.

I'll see if i can get Paolo at Sussex to write a blog post withe the code in when he comes back of hols next week.

Cheers

Stuart Lamour

In reply to Stuart Lamour

by Chris Adams -

Hi Stuart,

Nice one!

Looking forward to the solution.

Chris.

In reply to Chris Adams

by Paolo Oprandi -

Hi Chris,

I have blogged about the Moodle breadcrumb here and included the technical details of our solution.

Cheers,

Paolo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Julia Küfner -

Hi

I'm using Version 2.04 and would like to get rid of the "My courses" breadcrumbs.

When I visit a course for the first time as a user I get a full path in the breadcrumbs.

Then I am automatically enrolled to the course and the course is added to "My courses".

When I visit the course again I get the shortened version of the breadcrumbs starting with "My courses". For courses with only a few categories, this is no problem. But when you have serveral layers of subcategories, the breadcrumbs are shortened and some of the intermediate categories are left out. This is quite annoying to some of our teachers, as they often have to switch between courses in subcategories.

As an admin I do not get enrolled into courses, therefore I always have the long version of breadcrumbs.

Now I am looking for the piece of code that queries wether s.o. is enroled or not, to get an "admin breadcrumbs view" for all users.

Does anyone know where to change this in the code ?

Thanks a lot!