1.9.11 or 2.0.2 wont install on Win7

1.9.11 or 2.0.2 wont install on Win7

by Jim Brown -
Number of replies: 6

Just tried the weekly for each to install...

My understanding is I just download the zip, extract, run Start Moodle?

Well when I do that nothing happens. I remember from an install on another laptop (xp I think) years ago, that a dos box should appear. Well not for me!

Just in case it had started with no dos box, I went to my browser to access localhost, but it can't find the page so obviously moodle hasn'tstarted.

Any advice please anyone?

TIA,

Jim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Brown

Re: 1.9.11 or 2.0.2 wont install on Win7

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you got Skype, or something else running, that grabs port 80?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jim Brown -

Hi Tim... I had noted the Skype thing from the Readme, and unticked the box in Skype that allows it to use port 80. Also I saw in the Server folder that there's a portcheck utility- I ran that and it said port 80's free, as are all the others it's interested in. I So it seems nothing else is taking the port...  Sorry, I should have said this in my op.

The readme also says the firewall must be open- I have no clue where to look to check that. I wonder if there's something in my Kaspersky virus catcher?- but Kaspersky is usually pretty good with messages when something's trying to do something it doesn't like- it's silent on this

In reply to Jim Brown

by Jim Brown -

And just to be sure I uninstalled Skype and re-started laptop... no change

In reply to Jim Brown

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Jim,

If I understand you correctly, you want a local installation of Moodle on Windows 7. I haven't tried with Moodle 2, but it's well known that the Moodle Packages for Windows won't install on Vista or Windows 7. See Moodle docs Vista and Windows 7.

However it's quite easy to install Xampp on your computer and then intall a Standard Moodle Package (I've only done it for Moodle 1.9)

You could also use a BitNami Moodle Stack but I found it ran really slowly.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Jim Brown -

Ah

Thanks Glenys... wonder why I hadn't found that note before, but got it now!

Jim

In reply to Jim Brown

by Jim Brown -

Sorted thank you Glenys...

The longhand way looked a bit daunting because I had no idea where I would copy things to etc, so I took the BitNami route.... easy peasy

Merci beaucoup

Jim