Gradebook_cdc update

Gradebook_cdc update

by Michael Penney -
Number of replies: 1
now in CVS/contrib. Some bug fixes but the main thing is a new table structure to facilitate backup (backup is still not implemented, though).

With the new table structure, you risk losing some settings on upgrade if you were using an older version of gradebook_cdc (there is code to convert old to new but it is not well tested).
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Gradebook_cdc update

by Jeff Graham -
Hello all,

Just to clarify Michael's statement. Unfortunately it is difficult to test/revise the update code as it restructures the database. So to further explain what may happen with the new code.

All new installations should work cleanly without problem.

Upgrading installations in the absolute worst case will lose the following information;
  • grade item category settings ie. what category a particular moodle item belongs to
  • grade scaling
  • extra credit settings
  • grade exceptions
If you do notice that this information is lost, you can manually reset this to avoid problems/inconsistencies by deleting all records in {$CFG->prefix}course_grade_item and {$CFG->prefix}course_grade_exceptions doing so will ensure that there are no inconsistencies. I believe that there is enough error checking code in the gradebook that there should not be any inconsistencies and over time the extraneous entries should be cleared, but to be on the safe side if the upgrade fails I would suggest manually clearing the afforementioned tables.

Just to reiterate in the worst case no student data regarding graded items will be lost, only some gradebook settings could be potentially lost.

If you could also post installation/upgrade information that would be greatly helpful. Did the upgrade go smoothly? Were there any problems or issues.

This code also fixes the numerous warnings that several people have posted about in prior threads.

If you have questions, problems, etc. I will be monitoring this thread in case assistance or clarification is needed.

Regards,
Jeff