Including pdfs within Lessons

Including pdfs within Lessons

por Kara Connelly -
Número de respuestas: 6

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out if there is a way to paste pdf files or links to a pdf file embedded within a lesson.  When a student gets a question right or wrong, I would like to direct them at that point to a pdf to learn more about the particular topic.  I know there is a way to have a link to a pdf file as "linked media" that is consistent throughout the lesson but I would like the pdfs to be in specific places, as I would like to incude different pdfs for different topics. 

Thank you for your help!

Kara Connelly

Promedio de valuaciones (ratings): -
En respuesta a Kara Connelly

Re: Including pdfs within Lessons

por Russell Waldron -

Hi Kara.

You can put a link, image, or embed media in the main text area of another Question page or Branch Table. You can then open that Question or Branch Table if the student makes a particular choice in the first question. If you'd like step-by-step instructions, please say so.

Unfortunately, PDF is not one of the types of files that can be embedded. If you are stuck with PDF, you might want to try converting them to Flash (SWF) which you can embed.

Does this help?

Regards,

Russell Waldron

Promedio de valuaciones (ratings):Useful (1)
En respuesta a Russell Waldron

por Rachel Pye -

Hi Russell,

Would you mind giving step-by-step instructions, or guide me to something easy to follow?  I'm trying to do something similar to Kara, allow students to link to two different files (one Word and the other SPSS).  At the moment I can only work out how to do one or the other on the front page, through the Lesson settings.  I'd be grateful if you could tell me a way around this issue!

My first time on the forum, so apologies if I've done something wrong or rude!

Rachel

En respuesta a Kara Connelly

por Christopher Bevard -

This is a huge brick wall in terms of the viability of the Lesson feature in Moodle.  At our school (a law school), we deal in almost exclusively PDFs, legal documents, etc.  The inability to embed them seems really pretty silly to me - it's such a common file format.

En respuesta a Christopher Bevard

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators

Hi Christopher,

I can understand the frustration. PDFs are indeed a common format but embedding PDFs inside HTML pages (such as the Moodle Lesson pages) is not as straightforward as you may think. The embedding procedure will depend on where your PDFs are located (i.e. on what kind of repository), whether you will display them as "pure" PDFs or as "swf-embedded" PDFs, and also on which browser your students will view the final result (hopefully with the correct plugins installed on their browsers).

It is quite possible to embed PDFs inside your Lesson pages, by putting something like the following inside the HTML code of your page:

<p><embed src="http://yourfile.pdf" align="middle" border="0" height="1000" width="100%" /></p>

But again it all depends on where your PDF files are located and whether you can embed them as "pure PDFs" or-better- as swf-embedded PDFs, e.g. such as provided by box.com etc.

See an example (with Box.com) below.

Joseph

Anexo 06-02-2013 11-13-20.jpg
En respuesta a Joseph Rézeau

por Christopher Bevard -

Joseph - THANK YOU!  This is a huge help.  Worked like a charm and is exactly what we needed.  I wish that Moodle would just include a PDF button that essentially does this in the text editor, but alas.  Much appreciated!

Promedio de valuaciones (ratings):Useful (1)
En respuesta a Joseph Rézeau

por Miro Iliaš -

Dear Joseph,

thanks for your explanation. I am also interested in embedding pdf-files into lessons.

Concerning the attribute ...src="http://yourfile.pdf"... is there some storage space within Moodle courses, where pdfs can be located are read from lessons?

It seems to me that box.com and similar spaces are out of hand, I would prefer placing pdfs as close to the Moodle course web space as possible. 

Best, Miro