Lesson page return request

Lesson page return request

by Erick French -
Number of replies: 4

I have a series of lessons that are about 20-50 pages long each.  There are no questions.  I need to be able to have my students placed back onto the page they were on when they left.  How do I do this?

Thank you,

Erick French

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Erick French

Re: Lesson page return request

by Erick French -

A further clarification.  I am using lessons and the left menu to give the student page numbers to be able to navigate through long documents of 20-50 pages.  The page numbers allow them to skip around in the lesson but there is no way for them to see where they left off when they log back into the system.

If I use question pages instead of lesson pages, the system will bring them back to where they left off but then the page numbers will not show up in the left menu and the student cannot easily navigate in the lesson except by clicking previous and next 50 times..

I could use question pages, even though I don't have any questions, if the page numbers could show up in the left menu.  My preference is to stick with the lesson pages I have since I already have done hundreds of them.  If lessons could provide some way for the system to keep track of what page the student was on, then the moodle system would be much more effective for long lessons.  This could be by a jump or even by highlighting the last page seen in the left menu.

It seems like the lesson and question pages have different functions that would be really valuable on both types of pages.  It would be great to combine these functions.  This would really increase the usability of moodle at the core level.

I've been searching the forums and looking for this solution.   I've found other similar requests and some comments that the moodle team is not interested in making any improvements to the lesson module.  Is that the case?  If so, please let me know so that I can adjust.

Thank you very much,

Erick French

In reply to Erick French

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Erick,

Unfortunately what you want is not possible. The "You have seen more than one page of this lesson already. Do you want to start at the last page you saw?" feature only works on question pages. And even then it does not always work as expected.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Erick French -

Is there a way to have the last page or current progress be marked in the left menu?  I label my lesson pages with page numbers to make navigation easier but it's really not enough if there are more than 20 pages.

Navigation for long lessons seems like it would be important enough to bring to the group for a future release.  How do I bring it to their attention?

Thanks,

Erick