cant show THEREFORE sign with $$\therefore$$

by Ravi Vare -
Number of replies: 3
Hei Mauno and Marc

I am using moode1.9.10. shared web hosting and mathtran

By
{$$\therefore$$}
i can't get anything.
What actually happen, i can't understand.

One more thing i want to share with both of you.
Pl. tell me i am thinking right way or not?

Filter as like TEX, mathtran .
understand the dollar {($$)} language . Part within dollar {($$....$$)} convert into 'gif' image
This 'GIF' image appear on our screen
Am i right?

I always read yours 'threads' which are very informative.
I try to understand about Maths Signs- (What happen inside computer for displaying 'Signs')

I think i haven't perfect solution about 'Maths Symbols' because i can't show 'Matrices'.
but we definitely find out 'Perfect Solution'.

My student's exams are going on.
but i want to learn in deep about 'Maths Symbol' in near future with the help of you people.

TIA
Best Regards,
Ravi
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravi Vare

Re: cant show THEREFORE sign with $$\therefore$$

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Different distributions of Tex and Latex have some common syntax and some different syntax - I am not sure if MathTran has some command to render \therefore like TexLive (used here) as $$\therefore$$

You can always try to "create" new symbols with existing syntax or try to use different renderers for different cases - for example

http://www.mathtran.org/cgi-bin/mathtran?D=1;tex=.\atop.\quad. renders a little thin

with mathtran smile

Or you could try to use unicode characters or html entities like &#8756; which is also &there4; to render ∴ with bold face (switch to html mode first to add html entities with <> )

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Ravi Vare -
Hei Mauno,
HTML works
Thanks a lot

Ravi
In reply to Ravi Vare

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I have sometimes said that there is no perfect solution for rendering maths on web pages - still you have several workarounds to get partial solutions for most cases.

For example if you use fonts the main problem with unicode charaters is that all fonts do not support all unicode characters - see for example http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/fontlist.htm?text=%E2%88%B4+-+THEREFORE+%28U%2B2234%29

In Mathtran filter images that you see in browser are rendered on external Mathtran server ( http://www.mathtran.org ) and if you are offline you don't see those images

If you try MathML or javascript based renderers like MathJax or AsciiMathML/LatexMathML to render MathML you notice soon that all browsers do not support MathML and you need either Firefox, some plugin like MathPlayer or image fallback (server). In MathJax image fonts are installed to your own site and the size of package is large like in that case when you want to install a full distribution of TexLive or MikTex with all possible symbols and commands to your site - with ImageMagick or GhostScript to render transparent png images that IE6 never rendered ... and these "but, but, but..." issues go on forever smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)