Making a file available to students

Making a file available to students

by Steve Ambrosini -
Number of replies: 5

Is it possible to provide a file to the students? I would send it as attachment on an E-mail message but there doesn't seem to be an attachment option under "Participants"    Where can I put a file for students to grab?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambrosini

Re: Making a file available to students

by ben reynolds -

If the file has to do with an assignment, you can link to it in the instructions. Upload the file, right click to copy the link, select some text, click the link button, paste the copied link. Your in biz.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Daniel Zimmerman -
Is there a reasonable way - or, indeed, any way - to upload a file and associate it with an assignment in Moodle 2.0+ without using the enhanced HTML editor? I haven't found one yet, but I'd definitely be interested in knowing because I really don't like using the HTML editor.
In reply to Daniel Zimmerman

by Daniel Zimmerman -

Hmm... I guess either I'm the only person who doesn't like the HTML editor, or this is a really difficult question to answer. smile

All I really want to be able to do is attach a few files to an assignment for students to download (in order to do the assignment), without jumping through too many hoops.

In reply to Daniel Zimmerman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Daniel. Are you using Moodle 1.9 or Moodle 2.0? What is it about linking to a file from the HTML editor that you don't like? I find it's quick to do - uploading your file directly from some hyperlinked words - and it looks neat for your students. (edit- just saw you are using 2.0 - but I still think making a link is quite straightforwardsmile)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daniel Zimmerman -
It's not that I dislike "linking to a file from the HTML editor", it's that I dislike using the HTML editor at all. Or, I guess more accurately, I dislike being forced to use the HTML editor in order to access what used to be basic Moodle features.

You're right that it's straightforward to make a link - still significantly less straightforward than linking to course files was in 1.9, but perfectly reasonable - but in order to do it, you have to know the capability is there! There's no reason for any reasonable user to suspect that the "link" button allows you to upload files to a super-secret file area associated with the assignment.

More importantly, as I've discovered, there's no management interface for the super-secret file area. This results in bugs like http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-26388, frustration on the part of assignment writers, and confusion for students when they have to download a file called "assignment_version2.pdf" instead of "assignment.pdf" because Moodle decided it didn't like the name "assignment.pdf" anymore - even though, given the way Moodle's file systems work now, the file by definition can not be used in any other scope and there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't just be replaceable with a new upload.