Actualization of the html-files

Actualization of the html-files

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
There are a lot of actualizations in the original help-files in lang/en. It is a lot of work to keep all the files in other languages  actual all the time.
Peter Sereinigg and I discussed about the integration of a link to the actual english file in every language help file in other languages. A user or teacher can easy check if there are other or newer informations in the en-file. What do you think about it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Actualization of the html-files

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Normally when important changes are made, the files get an index e.g. help.html and help2.html for backwards compatibility and for making clear it's an important change.

But this agreement is made not so long ago, so in older help-files, there are some issues. I'm currently checking all languagepacks for xhtml-compliance and yes, somethimes there are very old files (not sure what to do with it ... when it is too outdatet, I put a comment on top of the page)

I engage myself to notify everyone in this forum when I notice a change, not made with an indexchange, but it is realy a good idea for any translator to subscribe to the CVS mailinglist ... you only have to read the changes in lang/en.

There's a huge opportunity to reread some translations when converting to xhtml-compliance
In reply to koen roggemans

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Koen,

this is only a solution for developer or translater. I'm thinking about user of moodle. They can't read hundreds of mails every month.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Users shouldn't have to if the translations are kept current ... all users have to do is get new language packs now and then  ...

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I share Martin's opinion. It is some work for a translator to keep the language pack up to date, but a great deal of the programming in Moodle is also done by volunteers and that's also a lot of work.

I think that here's a small task to find for the users of a language pack: reporting errors, misformed sentences, unclear explanations to the translator in stead of each one correcting his own installation.
For the Dutch language pack I was lucky to have someone who read almost the entire langpack and reported very detailed all errors cool.