Removing topics/blocks from courses

Removing topics/blocks from courses

by ron pipes -
Number of replies: 14
I'm still looking through the posts to see if I can find a solution for this, but so far I'm still at a loss.

I have a course setup and everything is working fine, so this is more of an esthetic problem than functional.  Here are some of the settings for the course:

Format:  Topics Format
News Items to Show: 5 new Items
Number of Weeks/Topics: 3

So, when I go into the course, there are three numbered boxes, and each box contains curriculum material. But, above that first box is an unnumbered box, and it is this box that I would like to get rid of.  I currently don't have any material there.  When editing is on there is a drop down so that I can add resources, but I would rather not have the unnumbered box there.

Does anyone have any idea as to how to get rid of this, or is it there by default?  I've looked over the settings, but I can't for the life of me see that there is a simple way of doing this.

Ron
Average of ratings: -
In reply to ron pipes

Re: Removing topics/blocks from courses

by Frances Long -
it is called topic "0".  Yeah - I find it frustrating as well, because you can't hide it.  However - I have grown used to it and now use it for an image, photo, brief welcome message, place my resources there - or link to something or other.
In reply to ron pipes

by Melinda Kraft -

As far as I know, you can't shut off the top block. A workaround, though, would be to change your course settings (admin pnl) for hidden sections to completely hidden, then hide block #1 by clicking the closed eye icon. Use the top block for topic 1, and the rest for yoru remaining topics.

You will always see the hidden block when logged in because you are the admin for the course, but other non-admin/instructor users will not.

In reply to ron pipes

by David Le Blanc -
LIke Frances said, the first unnumbered block is a great place to put course resources and tools. approve

That block really functions as spot for course-wide concerns, discussions (ie. the default News forum for announcements, ect.) and for overall resources that do not pertain to any one course topic/unit. This first section might be used for off-topic issues for learners to interact socially and build community. If you don not require a central spot for course-wide concerns, then simply inserting a Label or graphic will change this section to a simple decorative component.   
In reply to David Le Blanc

Re: Removing topics/blocks from courses (sections)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you have no activities in the top section, and leave the summary completely blank then this first section is not shown at all! big grin

Note that Moodle always creates a News forum if you have a "Latest News" forum, and it puts it in this section.  So either move the forum elsewhere, or remove the Latest News block before deleting the forum.

Note also that the HTML editor often inserts hidden code like a <br /> ... so when editing the section summary you may have to switch to "Code mode" and remove this stuff before saving it as truly blank.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Removing topics/blocks from courses (sections)

by Mary Kaplan -

Martin,

It is good to know that this is a possibility. I find that I use the top block to title the course, and for all the other miscellaneous things that have been mentioned here, but it is always interesting to know other options!

--Mary

In reply to ron pipes

by Laurie Savage -
My initial response to the topic 0 box was the same as yours, but it's a very useful hold all for the bits in a course that don't fit any where else - timetables, general news items, images, gossip etc.
In reply to Laurie Savage

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, it is a good habit to use for resources and activities that span the whole course-period: If a student selects one section, this block is always visible too.

My only wish is to have the items in this section NOT in a vertical row, but as a set of small HORIZONTAL row to take lesser screen space.

• hovering should show the labelof that icon
  • the icon must become clickable
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Rui Fernandes -

I have a problem with topic 0!

I was using it to show the photo of a group and the name of the course but now it is blocked and I cannot edit it. The hand with pen icon is not responding.

What should I do?!?!

Thank you

Rui Fernandes

In reply to Rui Fernandes

by Ger Tielemans -

I think you killed part of the code that brings special items on the screen in section zero. This can disturb the function of the ("later") items.

If the writing hand is not reacting, then your problem is above that level.

(We had this problem two times in the last three years.)

Workaround: Find with phpmyadmin in the database the field for this item, repair the code and - if I am correct - your problem is gone smile.

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Rui Fernandes -

I'm very new at this so, can you elaborate on that?

I think phpmyadmin is a tool you can use to edit the database but at waht level can you use it? What can you do with it? I'm not at the top level of administration

Thank you

Rui Fernandes

In reply to Rui Fernandes

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rui,

MySQL Admin, or phpMyAdmin, may be used by Moodle admin via the Database link in the administration block on the course home page. (It may be downloaded from Download: Integrations.)

Your problem with section 0 may be solved by browsing the table mdl_course_sections and editing the summary code in the problem section.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Kimberly Smith -
I had a similar problem: I could edit Topic Zero but the edits would not save. I used your suggestion and used phpMyAdmin (for the very first time!) to locate the offending table entry and edit it there. I found that my Skype plugin had added quite a bit of code for highlighting my cellphone number; when I removed that code, the problem was fixed. Maybe this tip will help someone else.
In reply to ron pipes

by flo jo -

Following on from the blocks issue, is it possible to remove the title block above block 0 that says "Topic outline" or "Weekly View" completely? I would like to be able to remove or hide it if possible. Does anyone know if I can?

Jo

In reply to flo jo

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Joanna,

Probably the best way to do things like this is by getting familiar with the stylesheets and using a custom theme to make the changes rather than hacking code, etc.

If you look in the standard stylesheets you will find under course the styles for that part of the course page called: headingblock.

Now, you can add the following code to your theme css stylesheet:

.headingblock {
display: none;
}

You can find out more about custom themes in the documentation and the Themes forum.