exchanging files between the courses

exchanging files between the courses

by moshe boperjan -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everybody.

I have two moodle courses sitting on the same server.

How can I link (by adding a resource) files from one course to another

(without downloading twice) ?
Thanks

Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to moshe boperjan

Re: exchanging files between the courses

by Elena Ivanova -

Michael, what Moodle version are you on?

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by moshe boperjan -

Thanks, Lena.

Finally someone have noticed me! smile

It is 1.9.10.

Best

Michael

by Elena Ivanova -

Sorry, not really possible. Only if you have exactly the same students enrolled into both courses. mixed

by moshe boperjan -

Thanks, Lena. It sounds very counter-intuitive. After all, the files are sitting on the same server!

You asked for the version. Is it possible in any version of Moodle?

Let me ask another question.  Can I create a general directory (repository) that can be used by all the courses belonging to a certain group?

Thanks again.

Michael.

by Elena Ivanova -

The best answer for any Moodle version:
Can you use some outside of Moodle repository? smile The one that allows to create "access tickets" to the files instead of direct URLs would be the best.

In 2.0 one can grab and re-use resources from other courses, but those will be copies. So, once you update one of the files, the other will remain an "old" version.
If you do not update the files though, then do not worry about consuming storage, since on the background Moodle 2.0 will recognize those files as being the same, and will store only once.

"Can I create a general directory (repository) that can be used by all the courses belonging to a certain group?"
Not in 1.9 (unless people would correct me!).
2.0 - as above smile

by moshe boperjan -

What u said about #2 sounds good. Is it reliable?

Do people still have problems with #2 being slow?

What should I worry about if decide to switch to #2.

Thanks a lot.

Michael.

by Elena Ivanova -

We have not tested performance yet, so I cannot tell you smile
It really depends on what kind of use you are looking for, list of features, user base, do you need to upgrade, or are you starting from scratch, what resources do you have, will you need to hire people, etc, etc
For us, for example, I would prefer to wait untill Summer 2012.

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

I'm still struggling with this and still trying to figure out if it is my problem or Moodle 2.02.

As far as I can tell, you cannot link to a file in a Moodle "standard" repository such as Private Files because you cannot get its URL.  This is understandable as it is outside of the web server area for security reasons.

If you create a repository yourself on the file system (eg to share departmental resources) you have the same issue.

For the same reason you cannot link a repository file into the HTML editor area (as you used to be able to do).

Again, if I have got it right, you could create a folder in your course, upload some files there and then link from the HTML Editor as a work-around (you could then even hide the folder if you wanted to but it feels a little "kludgy")

Therefore, on my understanding (which I hope is flawed), unless you have an external repository you cannot link the same file to two different courses in Moodle 2 (as the workflow document proposes).

So I actually think on balance, as far as this issue goes, you are better off with 1.9.

Having said that, Moodle 2 has some great features which we still consider worth having in spite of a few usability issues like this one.  We are not finding it slow.

Kind regards

Richard

by Jeff Forssell -

I don't have practical experience of using this, but have gotten the impression from what I have read that there are a couple of ways of sharing files between several courses

1) Make meta course that students in those courses are automatically enrolled in and put those files there.

2) Put files in the "front page" file folder. In this case the files are not protected from people that aren't authenticated users. But people must know the URL to access these files.

3) quiz questions can be "published" in the question bank. Than they can be used by different courses.