Linux fast load at school, slow load at home

Linux fast load at school, slow load at home

by Wilson Kinscherf -
Number of replies: 5

My school uses V1.9.  I have no problem accessing my teacher account using Linux at school, and have no problem with Win7 at home, but pages will not load at home using Linux (Ubu 10 and any web browser like FireFox, Chrome, etc).  I can read the page source, but the page will load only after I let it load for 30+ minutes.  I use Linux as my primary, so I do not like to boot into Win7 to do things in Moodle at home.  Any suggestions as to settings I can change to make my pages load in reasonable time at home?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wilson Kinscherf

Re: Linux fast load at school, slow load at home

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Wilson

> I have no problem accessing my teacher account using Linux at school, and have no problem with Win7 at home, but pages will not load at home using Linux (Ubu 10 and any web browser like FireFox, Chrome, etc). I can read the page source, but the page will load only after I let it load for 30+ minutes.

You stress on the difference accessing your site at school and at home. My first question: Where is the server: in the school LAN or outside somewhere in the internet?

Second thing: You say accessing your site at school works for both Win7 and Linux clients. But mention only Linux at home. Have you tried Win clients at home?

How do these two LANs are conncted to the internet? I mean networking components like routers, fire walls, proxy-servers, VPN, malware protection, etc.

> I use Linux as my primary, so I do not like to boot into Win7 to do things in Moodle at home.

You are talking about the client, right? Then dual-boot should not upset anything.

> Any suggestions as to settings I can change to make my pages load in reasonable time at home?

I fully agree, 30+ min isn't reasonable!
sad

This kind of delay meas that something very big is broken. Like firewall or proxy configuration, overkeen malware protection, wrong CFG-> settings in moodle/config.php. BTW, do you access your site using two different URLs at school and at home?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Wilson Kinscherf -

I should have mentioned that the puzzling thing is that I can access normally at home using Win7; the pages load with normal speed.

by Wilson Kinscherf -

Some additional info.  I can access many of the other pages on my school's Moodle, but my main course pages are the ones that hangup.

by Rodolfo Matos -

What are the DNS servers that are used in your Linux and Windows configurations?

My guess is that they are different...