Re: Hardware requirements to support 1000 simultaneous quiz takers? (2nd case)

Re: Hardware requirements to support 1000 simultaneous quiz takers? (2nd case)

by Rama Krishnan -
Number of replies: 7

Any results for successful quizes for 1000 users at same time. Since we tried to have 300 users at same time we failed.

Iam looking for having a feedback of the testing results for 1000 students who attempted a same quiz and at same time.

please help

thanks

rama

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rama Krishnan

Re: Hardware requirements to support 1000 simultaneous quiz takers?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Rama Krishnan

> Since we tried to have 300 users at same time we failed.

What was the setup: hardware, network infrastructure, operating system, which webserver and which version, same with database server?

Any tuning you have done?

And how did you test: Did you have 300 real users, or did you simulate? If simulated, how?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Rama Krishnan -

What was the setup: hardware, network infrastructure, operating system, which webserver and which version, same with database server?

E-learning server:

RAM 3.24 GB

Processer speed: 3 GZ

Processor: Intel (R) xpol (R) CPU

Network speed: 10/100 MPBS

Core Switch: 6509

Switch:  3750

Speed of switch: switch 6509 (speed is 10,000 MBPS) & for switch 3750 (speed is 10100 MBPS)

We are using both front end and database server as same

(iam aware it should be 2 seperate machines but budget constraint we have)

if you can suggest us on what sort of machiens we need to have and how the mapping to be done that will be great help

Any tuning you have done?

We used php accelerater as recommened by moodle

And how did you test: Did you have 300 real users, or did you simulate? If simulated, how?

yes we managed to have 300 uers at same time. AS we are using in our college of around 9000 students strength it is not that tough for us to get real time users on to the poral

your assistance is much appreciated . looking forward to have your opinion

thanks

rama

Hi Rama Krishnan

In short: Your chances of getting one server to serve 1000 quiz users simultanously are bleak. I can think of three ways of tackling the problem. Which are, in the order of increasing complexity:
- stagger the users somehow: 20 batches of 50 users each, starting in 10 min intervals. Even within a lab, an instructor could give green light row by row purposely delaying in between, or the trick with the complicated access key for the quiz

- duplicate the server, have one for each lab for example

- real clustering. First test whether your network can deliver!

Now the details:

>> What was the setup: hardware, network infrastructure, operating system, which webserver and which version, same with database server?
>
> E-learning server:
> RAM 3.24 GB
> Processer speed: 3 GZ
> Processor: Intel (R) xpol (R) CPU

You don't mention the operating system, nor the webserver or the database server. Either way one server is not enough.

> Network speed: 10/100 MPBS
> Core Switch: 6509
> Switch: 3750
> Speed of switch: switch 6509 (speed is 10,000 MBPS) & for switch 3750 (speed is 10100 MBPS)

Do you have everything from 10 Mbit/s to 10 Gbit/s in your network? I hope they work well together..

> We are using both front end and database server as same
> (iam aware it should be 2 seperate machines but budget constraint we have)

Even if you had two, I doubt whether together they'll deliver 1000 simultanous quizes.

> if you can suggest us on what sort of machins we need to have and how the mapping to be done that will be great help

Machines alone would not do. I've summerized the alternatives I can think of at the beginning.

>> And how did you test: Did you have 300 real users, or did you simulate? If simulated, how?
>
> yes we managed to have 300 users at same time. AS we are using in our college of around 9000 students strength it is not that tough for us to get real time users on to the portal

Pity that the original poster haven't reported the final outcome. As you must have noticed, from the size of your institution, the only "simple" solution is the first one I mentioned at the top, I'm afraid.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Rama Krishnan -

Thank you very much for your kind response.

We are using MS server 2003 as OS for the server here.

I agree to the solution of having into 50 batches and starting time of 10 min delay in each lab.

But if iam to propose next level of solution what do u think i shoudl propose to the higher management?

Thanks

rama

Hi

>> You don't mention the operating system, nor the webserver or the database server.

> We are using MS server 2003 as OS for the server here.

What about the other two, webserver and database server I mean?

>>> Network speed: 10/100 MPBS
>>> Core Switch: 6509
>>> Switch: 3750
>>> Speed of switch: switch 6509 (speed is 10,000 MBPS) & for switch 3750 (speed is 10100 MBPS)
>> Do you have everything from 10 Mbit/s to 10 Gbit/s in your network? I hope they work well together..

That one too hat gone unanswered. I'm sorry, this is a techy world, there are no sorcerers around.
sad

> I agree to the solution of having into 50 batches and starting time of 10 min delay in each lab.
>
> But if iam to propose next level of solution what do u think i shoudl propose to the higher management?

Depends on where do you want to go. Now "staggering" has solved initial problem, what is next?

by Max De Mendizábal -

1,000 users are too many for that hardware specs, even on Linux. I think the stratification of the users can be a good solution. Try to add more RAM to your server, the operating system alone takes about 2Gb. Maybe you can get another two or three servers, two for the front end interface and one for the database. Look around on the forums, there are many threads on high performance Moodle servers.

Here some links on Moodle performance

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Arguments_in_favour_of_PostgreSQL
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance
http://linuxperf.sourceforge.net/

Yours

Max

In reply to Max De Mendizábal

Hi Rama Krishnan

I'm moving your posting to a new thread from http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=162597 so that your inquiry gets more attention.

Hi Negra Barba

Talking of operationg systems alone taking GB of RAM, here is yet another prophet unheard
N. Wirth: "A Plea for Lean Software" http://d.linux-bg.org/download/docs/wirth.pdf