problem when upgrading moodle 1.9.10+ (Build: 20110119) to moodle 2.0.1

problem when upgrading moodle 1.9.10+ (Build: 20110119) to moodle 2.0.1

by Lukasz Czyzewski -
Number of replies: 7

Hello to everyone! smile

I've got a problem when upgrading from Moodle 1.9.10+ (Build: 20110119) to Moodle 2.0.1.

My Moodle instalation is based on windows environment (PHP 5.3.5 and Mysql 5.1.53-community).

During the update I get the following exception:

=======================================================

Unknown exception related to local files (Invalid contextid)

More information about this error

Stack trace:
  • line 724 of \lib\filestorage\file_storage.php: file_exception thrown
  • line 267 of \lib\db\upgradelib.php: call to file_storage->create_file_from_pathname()
  • line 4764 of \lib\db\upgrade.php: call to upgrade_migrate_group_icons()
  • line 1360 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to xmldb_main_upgrade()
  • line 252 of \admin\index.php: call to upgrade_core()

=======================================================

My moodle data directory has proper permissions and everything worked fine for Moodle 1.9.10.

Can anyone give me some sort of a clue?

Thanks,

Lukasz Cz,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lukasz Czyzewski

Re: problem when upgrading moodle 1.9.10+ (Build: 20110119) to moodle 2.0.1

by Lukasz Czyzewski -

Ha!
As I commented out the line which throws the exception, another exception was fired, but this time it has more meaningful content:
Can not create file "/group/icon/56///f1.jpg"

More information about this error
Stack trace:

line 793 of \lib\filestorage\file_storage.php: stored_file_creation_exception thrown
line 267 of \lib\db\upgradelib.php: call to file_storage->create_file_from_pathname()
line 4764 of \lib\db\upgrade.php: call to upgrade_migrate_group_icons()
line 1360 of \lib\upgradelib.php: call to xmldb_main_upgrade()
line 252 of \admin\index.php: call to upgrade_core()

please, check out the file name above - it is clearly wrong.

I am working on windows 7 with IIS and MySql.

Can anyone help?
Lucas.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm do not upgrade! The code base of the two versions are very different and, really, I would suggest that they should not be mixed as the likelihood of errors is too great. Also realize that the manner in which the two interact with the moodledata folder and the database is completely different. Install a Moodle 2.0.1 and get used to using it, it is very different.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Lukasz Czyzewski -

Thank you for your answer, Colin! smile

I'm afraid that "do not upgrade" is not an option for me.
One way or another I've got to circumvent this problem and move courses, users, etc. from my 1.9.x moodle to 2.0.x.

I did install moodle 2.0 some time ago (as you say - to get used to it), but it was an installation of a new server - no upgrade was involved and it all went cleanly, without any problems...

Do you know any other way to move content from 1.9 to 2.0?

Regards,
Lucas.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lucas,

In order to help developers investigate your upgrade problem, please could you report it in the Moodle Tracker and be prepared to send a backup of your 1.9 site to the developer if requested.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Mmm, I disagree Colin! If you have an existing 1.9 Moodle site with courses and data that you want to keep, like I do, then do upgrade! Then you can keep your existing data.

I've finally managed to upgrade a copy of a 1.9.10+ Moodle site that I run on Windows (Server 2003, IIS & MSSQL 2005) with 155 courses and 11000 users to Moodle 2.0.1 and Moodle 2 is great!

Yes, it is quite a tricky upgrade on Windows because you have to adjust some web server and database settings to prevent things like timeouts and you have to change to a new database connection layer, but it's worth it! All the new functionality in Moodle 2 is great.

I'm going to do it a few more times to really iron out the process and then I'll share the secrets. Yes, I'm a sucker for upgrade punishment! wink

Seriously, if you're prepared to work through a few technical issues, it really is worth it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Simon Allison -

how do you mean change timeouts and change database connection layer?

this isnt in the docs?