Using Moodle in Software Training...HELP!!!

Using Moodle in Software Training...HELP!!!

by Douglas Constant -
Number of replies: 6

Hi...I am new to Moodle and trying to find my way around....HELP!  ;-(

We are a software company and have a few modules created in Moodle. Basically we made videos of the instructor using our software and showing students where to point and click. We also have voice in the videos. The videos are sent to Moodle and accessed by students.

I was wondering how we can make the training more interactive. Most software training is like a tutorial of all SHOW and no PRACTICE. I would like to use the above video to SHOW students how to navagate our software and then allow the student actually PRACTICE the same task shown while still in Moodle. What do I need to do to get students to actually use the software inside of Moodle module?

Is this possible? I have seen modules like this but do not know how they were created. Does anyone know where I can view a video or a Moodle example of something like this?

Thanks...Doug

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Douglas Constant

Re: Using Moodle in Software Training...HELP!!!

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

The kind of interactivity you are asking for here is not Moodle, it is the software used to create the video. I have done this using a freeware program called Wink. It is a simple program, easy to learn and allows a great deal of flexibility. One video I did ran to a point, stopped, I inserted a page with two instructions on it, then when they finished, they carried on to the next point, working their way through the video. You can do this same thing with recorded instructions. I have tried Camstudio and could not get a sufficient quaulity video, not that the Wink is all that brilliant. I understand Camtasia is regarded as the leading product, but I have never used it, and it is not freeware.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Doug,

I've used BBFlashBack (http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/Home.aspx) effectively to create demonstrations (screen casts) export them as flv files and upload them to Moodle and have them play.  I was so impressed with the free version - BBFlashBackExpress - that I persuaded my employer to purchase the full version.

Before that I did use Wink but found it time consuming to edit and it did not have a highlight that followed the mouse.  Something that can help to reduce the number of 'click here' type boxes.

Cheers,

Gareth

by John Hennessy -

Hi Doug

There will be better ways posted here no doubt but one simple way is to split video up into small sections and embed them in quiz questions or as the basis for assignments or any other student activity. Quiz questions can be flexible. Hot Potatoes is an alternative.

To have users confirm they have completed something succesfully screen grabs could be used if that is possible for your users. Similarly screen recordings may be possible (Jing etc etc) if your users can manage that - you need to match with user needs and capabilities.

Hope this is of some small use.

by Peter Ivison -

Hi Doug, We are developing exactly these types of interactions using Articulate Presenter and screen captures. Presenter allows you to overlay anotations and hyperlinks on screen captures recreating a realistic, guided user experience.

We have a demo of this on our website at http://www.kt-intl.com.au/Demo/player.html.

I am new to Moodle, but our current project is to incorporate a library of these types of interactions into a Moodle subscription site in partnership with the software developer.

Hope this helps...

Peter Ivison

In reply to Peter Ivison

by Derek Chirnside -

Peter, have you succeeded in getting articulate packages into Moodle 2+

I posted earlier today here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=170736

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Peter Ivison -

Hi Derek, We're just starting that process now.

Currently we have three short tuition activities uploaded to our development Moodle that were created in Articulate presenter and seem to have integrated seamlessly. smile  The only issue so far has been that an embedded SWF in the splash slide failed to play in Moodle, but other than that the modules are fully functional and the SCORM integration seems to be working well. None of the presentations include quizzes though...

We followed the process outlined in Dave's excellent tutorial at MoodleTuts to upload the Articulate content and had no problems getting it to work.

You can see the examples in out free course section at http://inxtraining.kt-intl.com.au

HTH,

Pete