Display Topics (weeks) in reverse order

Display Topics (weeks) in reverse order

by Jon Loose -
Number of replies: 14
Hi,
I am using the 'weekly' format' for a course, and I would like to avoid clutter by revealing the weeks one at a time, keeping 'this week's material' at the top, and having previous weeks underneath, in reverse order. Thus, scrolling down the page will take you further back in time.

Is it possible to do this using the weekly format? It's simply a case of gettting the data in reverse order, and I think it would make the page less confusing.

Jon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Loose

Re: Display Topics (weeks) in reverse order

by Luuk CARNEL -
I have the same question : how to keep "this week" at the top of the page and show the earlier weeks in reverse order ???

Thanks !

Luuk C.
In reply to Luuk CARNEL

by Jon Loose -
I've still not discovered how to do this. Any input would be gratefully received.

Jon
In reply to Jon Loose

by Luuk CARNEL -
Make a new directory in moodle\course\format and name it : "weeksinv"
Copy the file "format.php" (see attachment) into it, together with the file "config.php" from the "weeks" directory.

Then you add the following line to : \lang\en_utf8\moodle.php :

$string['formatweeks'] = 'Inverted Weekly format';

For me it works in 1.6.3 and 1.8.1
In reply to Luuk CARNEL

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Luuk - Thanks for the code and very helpful instructions for this hack. This question of reversing the order comes up now and again. I checked in the tracker and there is a similar request for this inverted weekly format as MDL-7489. Others who are interested may wish to vote on this issue to see if it might be included in core. Having a working solution is always helpful. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Ger Tielemans -

There is a very long tradition in versions of course formats. I think the solution for reverse weeks came from Bernard Boucher. (3 years ago?)

In the past I had a hugh collection of course formats, until I discovered that it drives our teachers crazy: I killed all my other darlings and live now with three basic formats: weeks, topics and project. (yes, not forum)

(I only have small variations on these three basic forms like: with/without a section zero, with/without drop/down section-content etc..)

The only big switch I considered in the past, but which never got support from the Moodle headquarter, was these three formats in tab view..

I think that reverse order is - from a design perspective - a wrong design decision. I borrow this knowledge from the book 'The design of every day life' from Donald Norman. (or something like that... Some old friend borrowed my book, so..)

In a convincing section about road signs the author describes that roadsigns read from top to bottom for signs hanging above the road with the arrow pointing down, BUT read from bottom to top for signs left or right from the main track with the arrow up: You never realised that? It never disturbed you? (check it first thing in the morning) Strong arguments, don't you think so?

If you see the Moodle course format as the road to go, then it should read from top to bottom and the block areas in Moodle are the parts left and right of the mainroad: inside these blocks you build infoblocks form bottom to top (..like our zap-box-mechanism. Maybe it is all nonsense, but I like this idea smile)

Another point of discussion is about showing them the weeks one by one.
If you wish that students take responsibility for there own learning, the must now before the start where it is all about, what they have to plan, how the can divide and manage time etc.. (if you give them a book, you don't give it to them chapter by chapter, do you? so, why should you..etc.. see the old forums..)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Charles Kelly -
>> I think that reverse order is - from a design perspective - a wrong design decision. (by Ger Tielemans - Monday, 25 June 2007, 06:54 AM)

However, from a "web design perspective," for people used to reading blogs, forums, etc. on the web, it is quite logical to have the "most recent" at the top. This is what people have grown accustomed to.
In reply to Charles Kelly

by Aaron Campbell -
I agree here with Charles. It would be great for future versions of Moodle to have an option in the course settings to display weekly format in reverse chronological order.
In reply to Aaron Campbell

by Selale Atalar -

It has been 3 years after this post. I hope in the meanwhile this option is made available in the core Moodle.  Do we have the option of displaying weeks/topics in the reverse order without manually having to do so? Any help would be apprecaited. Thank you.

In reply to Selale Atalar

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Selale,

Looking though the following, some progress has been made but not in core.  One request was solved through new functionality in Moodle 2.0:

MDL-25448

MDL-7489

CONTRIB-1404

CONTRIB-1403

MDL-790

Perhaps create a new issue against Moodle 2.0 and relate it to others (possibly above) and then publicise to get it voted for.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi Ger,

In the past I had a hugh collection of course formats, until I discovered that it drives our teachers crazy: I killed all my other darlings and live now with three basic formats: weeks, topics and project. (yes, not forum)

Project course format? I looked in the third-party plugins and could see this. I was wondering what you are referring to? Did you mean the project activity?

Thanks,

Stuart.

In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Ger Tielemans -

No I mean this one, i like the simplicity:

//=======================================================================
// Description: Moodle Project course format
// Created:  2005-04-04
// Author: Patrick Jermann (Patrick.Jermann@epfl.ch)
//========================================================================

If you remove the roadblocks from 1.8 (according to Bernard Boucher advises) it also works in 1.8

Attachment projectkleurcode.png

Course format broken again..

by Ger Tielemans -

After the upgrade to moodle 1.8 (and 1.9) Course format project works fine if you block the checks on if isteacher or if is student.

After upgrading to php 5 (including replacing the jpgraph lib for php5) the format is broken again: we can create a section zero with the GANTT-chart, but as soon as we insert an assignment, the display breaks in section zero..

Anyone?