Competent/Not yet Competent

Competent/Not yet Competent

by Jon Havvit -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

This may be a little hard to explain.

I want to know if there is a way to mark an assignment as whether they have completed the task in a yes/no format. As a final condition, I would want this to be an automatic mark yes if anything in the box has been filled out.

These answers would be short answer questions.

Thanks in advance

p.s. I am on moodle 1.9

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Havvit

Re: Competent/Not yet Competent

by Sandeep Kankatala -

Hi Jon,

From the sound of it, I assume you are talking about a grading system where if a student scores a certain amount of marks their results should show as Competent/Not yet Competent in a task.

You can do this by going to Administration>Grades.
Then Letters>Edit
Let us say, you are using Grade(%) system. The defaults are: Grade Letter 1,2,3: A+, A, A-... Grade Boundary 1,2,3: 95%, 90%,.....
You can write Competent inplace of letter A+ and choose what ever % you want from the drop down and the for rest of the boundaries write Not Yet Competent in Grade Letter field.

Write a formula for caluclating the course total by going to Grader Report> Turn Editing on> Course Total. Once you set up your formula results will be displayed with the set Grade Letters both for the cumulative and individual tasks, in this case its either Competent/Not Yet Competent.

Hope this helps.

In reply to Sandeep Kankatala

by Jon Havvit -

That did help a lot. Thank you so much.

Is there a way to make Moodle automatically grade a short answer question? The only condition I would have is that something... anything... was written

In reply to Jon Havvit

by Randy Orwin -

Hi Jon,

When you create the short answer question just put a an asterisk (*) in the first answer box and assign it a grade of 100%. Now it will give full credit for any response. Good luck!

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Jon Havvit -

This is all helping very much and I thank you.

It works perfectly now except for one thing (the powers above changed the question)

Now they are after essay style long answer questions, but any submission will do... Will online text fill this function? or journal? Sorry for being so moodle illiterate

In reply to Jon Havvit

by Randy Orwin -

Hi Jon,

Do you want this essay to stay in the quiz module? If so essay questions are not automatically graded to my knowledge. You could still use the short answer option as Moodle allows a huge amount of text in the single field (I tested it with 500 words) but you can't see all of the text, just what is in the visible box. Not a real good solution. None of the other modules will automatically grade the essays but you can create a new grade scale called Complete/Incomplete and apply that to the online text or journal assignment. You still have to manually apply the grades but with quick grading turned on you could grade an assignment like that in no time at all.

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Jon Havvit -

Awesome, thanks bud.

I appreciate all your help

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Astrid Davine -

I'm curious about this...

Would using the asterisk (*) solution, though, allow blank answers?  Or can you prevent blank answers some other way?

(Our organisation is moving to Moodle 2 by the end of the year.)