system student role

system student role

by Edward Stone -
Number of replies: 8

I hope you can help me.

By mistake, a number of people in our 1.9 Moodle had been assigned the system role of student. So they never had to enrol on any of the courses and all courses appeared in the My Courses Block.

If the system role is taken away (unnasigned), does that mean that all the course names will dissapear from the My Courses Block?

Thanks in advance.

Ed.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edward Stone

Re: system student role

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes. If you remove them from the system role then all that long list of courses will go from their courses block. If they have not been enrolled in any courses at all (you need to do it individually in each course) then they will get a list of the course categories. As soon as they are enrolled into one course then all they will see is the one course in their my courses block. etc..

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Edward Stone -

Thanks for the help Mary.

But, if they had the site role of student, they wouldnt appear in the list of students per course, because they never actually enrolled on it. They courses appear in the my courses block because they had the site wide role for all courses (and any new that were addeed)?

I could be wrong, I've not had chance to test it out yet.

Ed.

In reply to Edward Stone

by Steve Bond -

Hi Ed,

Actually that's not correct, users with site student role do appear in the participants list of every course.

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by Edward Stone -

I'm a bit confused now.

I created a new user and assigned them the site role of student. When I looked in the courses, Administration, Assign roles, my test user wasnt listed as a student. But when I looked in the people block they were listed as a participant. So what is the difference between a student and a participant of a course? 

In reply to Edward Stone

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Participants can  be teachers or students or other roles. If you have more than one role in a course then you can filter the "participants" in that block to student/teacher/etc.

In reply to Edward Stone

by Steve Bond -

Hi Edward,

That's right, 'participants' will show you everyone who has a given role in a course, but 'assign roles' shows you only people who have been given that role at the course level.

The difference is between having a role and being assigned a role. If you assign someone student role at site level, that means that they have the student role in all courses, so you'll see them listed as a student in the participants lists of all courses on the site. But this role assignment is made only at the site level, you won't see this person listed as a student under 'assign roles' unless you actually added them at that level.

In terms of permissions, it makes no difference. If someone is a student in a course, then they get student permissions regardless of whether the role was given to them at the course level or the site level.

Hope that clarifies things. I confused myself writing it.

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by Edward Stone -

Thanks Steve, I think I'm closer to understanding it...

So I guess its a bit like admin, they would be a participant in all courses since they have been allocated the role at site level?

But would there be any problems if someone with the site role of student, was then assigned the role of student at course level?

Apologies if I'm over complicating things.

Ed.

In reply to Edward Stone

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Edward - there wouldn't be any problems if someone was assigned the role of student at course level if they were student at site level (if indeed it is possible to do that ) but it wouldn't be necessary. It is one or the other.