Private Community Hub: things that would be nice to have

Private Community Hub: things that would be nice to have

by Rodolfo Matos -
Number of replies: 1

I was messing around with commununity hub for the first time. Great project!

I've some sugestions:

"Search for courses" in a private hub:

- "Subject" should not have "Creative Arts" or "Health" or whatever if there is no actual searchable courses about that topic. Getting the entire ASCED list only makes noise.

BTW, sticking to edufields ASCED 2001, makes it dificult to adapt to diferent context and realities. Let me give you 2 examples:

1. a group of faculties in a given University want to provide to their students courses that they can atend (imagine a medical student (that is a student from Faculty of Medicin) that wants to attend a art class (in Fine Arts Faculty) in different faculties.

First problem is the "educational level". Well, in Portugal, acording to Bolonha Agreement, we could choose from (1º ciclo, 2º ciclo, 3º ciclo). But if a student is a "1º ciclo/1st cycle" student (trying to get it's first degree), it makes no sense on showing "3º ciclo/3rd cycle" (PhD programme) courses as "courses I can enrol in".

2. a group of tutoring companies want to share resources. Well,in this case,  it would make sense not to search for a "Educational level: Secondary", but instead to search for:

Education level "11th year"/ Subject "Biology" or something similar.

So, what am I saying is that I think that the "search for courses" must have the possibility of customization. Urgently.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rodolfo Matos

Re: Private Community Hub: things that would be nice to have

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -

Hi Rodolfo,

thanks for your comment. It's true and logical that many people requested this feature for the hub.

However editing the 'subject' field is technically difficult to implement due to synchronisation problems between all the potential existing hub in the world. If they have all their own subjects it's going to be an incredible mess for searching.

So we let this issue for a "maybe" later. There is a tracker issue for it: MDL-23217

Note the solution suggested by Martin on this issue: "There is another free text field for custom tags that you can use for more specific tags within your context, and we can possibly look at providing some way to add a custom menu on top of this later."