Hack "Surname" to "Last Name"

Hack "Surname" to "Last Name"

by Todd Carney -
Number of replies: 6
Hi, I have my students self-enroll (on my own Moodle installation, i.e., I'm the Admin) using the "New Account" link on the login page. One problem I had not anticipated is that as many as half of my students (at an American university) don't know what a "surname" is. Baffled, some of them just repeat their first name, others seem to think "sir name" when they see "surname," so they put in a title such as Mr. or Ms. I may never cease to be surprised by what my students don't know. It's possible that in the United States, "surname" has gone out of fashion like rotary-dial telephones and Kodachrome. So, does anyone have any idea how I might hack the New Account form to replace "Surname" with "Last Name"? It sure is a lot of bother to have to go back in and manually change a couple dozen botched enrollments for each of my courses.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Carney

Re: Hack "Surname" to "Last Name"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you go to site admin>language>language editing>edit words and phrases and choose moodle.php you can change words there, such as surname to last name

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Todd Carney -

Mary--Many thanks! It worked like a charm.

In reply to Todd Carney

by Steve Iman -

Mary: Do you know if this applies to Moodle 2? When I go to Language, I see alternative "packs" but no edit capability. I'm wondering if this is text file work for ftp though, instead of through the administrative interface of a browser? Any tips would be appreciated

In reply to Steve Iman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve  -if you want to edit the language in Moodle 2.0 then go to site admin>Language>language customisation - choose Eng and then carry onsmile

Attachment moodle2lang.png
In reply to Todd Carney

by Robert Brenstein -
Todd, do you have en_us language pack loaded? It should have last name instead of surname. At least, it used to.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Todd Carney -

Robert,

I didn't think of that.  I'll check.  I was able, though, to hack the change with the help of the other answering here.  Thanks for yor help!

Todd