imge target Que.- How to target diff. part of image.

imge target Que.- How to target diff. part of image.

by Ravi Vare -
Number of replies: 6
Hi everybody,

In this type of Question, we can indicate one part of image. (i think so)

suppose,
i want to display in such manner,

EX. (pl. refer screen shot)

Target the front part of image -

Target the back part of image -

Target the right part of image -

Target the left part of image -

There is no space for inserting answers?
Pl. clarify me
TIA.

Ravi

Attachment Image Targeted Area -Differnt part of Image.GIF
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravi Vare

Re: imge target Que.- How to target diff. part of image.

by Adriane Boyd -

All of the target areas specified count as the right answer for that question.  The question text should contain the instructions for the student about what to select.  The student will only see one copy of the image and will only be able to select one point in that image.  If the single point they've selected is in any of those areas, they get 100%, otherwise 0%.  Students can't select an area or select multiple points or type anything in, so you need to have a question where a single point in the image can graded as correct/incorrect with no other information.

If I understand what you're asking, it sounds like you'd need to create a separate question (using the same image in each question) for each specific area you want to ask about (front/back/whatever).  Put the element they should select (front/back/whatever) in the question text and select the corresponding element in the image.  If it's hard to select the right area with a single rectangle, combine multiple rectangles to specify the correct area.

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by Ravi Vare -
Hi Adriane,

I think,you had understood my point of view properly.

i wanted to say Right side of Plane not rectangle. ok.

Through this forum i want to discuss some point.

1) It will very difficult for teacher to create single question every time for same image.
2) In student point of view also it is difficult for him/her
to attempt number of questions on different pages for same image.
3)What is smart use of "Image to display"?
4)I can't understand about "Specify the correct Answer(s)" Pl. see the screen shot.
5)if in single question we can give only one activity then
what use of " Add another target area"?

Pl. forgive me if you found any little knowledge of me.

Very potential in this question type.
specifically for maths and science teacher.

pl. you clarify me.

Thanks,
Warm Regards,
Ravi

In reply to Ravi Vare

by Adriane Boyd -

The image target question type is limited by the fact that there's only one draggable target and one image provided for each question.  Nothing about moodle prevents more complicated questions with multiple things to drag or multiple images, but this is just how the image target question currently works.  In each question, you can only have ONE image and you can only ask the student to select ONE point in that image.

(The restriction to one image and one target simplified the question type enough to make it possible to have an equivalent non-javascript fallback, but this is less relevant now than it was in 2007 when the question type was developed.)

1) There's no way around this.  Because the student can only select one point in each image per question, you need a separate question for each part of the image you want to ask about.  You can use the "Save as new question" option to make a series of similar questions without having to retype every single question option.

2) If the question text is different for each question, I don't understand the difficulty.  If you are concerned that students will get confused, you could put each question on a separate page, but I think moodle does a fairly good job of displaying each question separate from the next question.  I understand that it might be nicer to have multiple targets per image to combine related questions, but this is not currently possible.

3) This is an image displayed as part of the question text.  It's a bit of a hack in all question types in 1.9 to make it easier to include an image in the question text.  It is not the image used with the target.  You can ignore it.  (It's probably less confusing for image target questions if you don't include images in the question text.)

4) I don't understand what you're asking.  Could you clarify? Edited because I didn't notice the attached image because it had a weird file extension.  This looks like a bug where I didn't choose the right language string.  I'm surprised I never caught this, thanks for pointing it out!  It should just say you need to provide at least one target area (i.e., one correct answer), otherwise the student can't get full credit for the question.

5) A single target area might not be enough:

• there might be two separate areas in the image that are both correct
  • there might be a shape that's hard to select with a single rectangle, so you can use multiple overlapping rectangles to approximate the shape

Let's say you had an image that contained pieces of fruit in a row with an apple, an orange, and then another apple.  You ask the student to find an apple, but you don't care which one they select.  You'd need to add two target areas, each one with a box around one of the apples in the picture.  Imagine all the selected target areas layered on top of each other to produce the correct answer.

Your desire for a more powerful/flexible image target question is not unreasonable, but I don't have any plans (or time) to work on this for 1.9 (or 2.0).  I think there are plans (by people other than me) to develop an improved version for moodle 2.1, so there might be a better version in the next year or so.

You could also look at the dragdrop question type, but I think it hasn't been updated in awhile and is a little buggy with 1.9.  I saw a recent bug report that said you can only have one dragdrop question per page or it doesn't work well, but I haven't tried it out myself.  You could give it a try, though.

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by Ravi Vare -
Very nice explanation Adriane,
Because of you people, Moodle is taking firm steps. ok.
"Save as new Question" is good suggestion.

I am not technical person. i am a maths and science teacher.
This type of question is very useful in Maths and science.

thanks again adriane.
i hope new version will coming soon.

warm Regards,
Ravi
In reply to Adriane Boyd

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

About the dragdrop questiontype, it's right it hasn't been updated for years, the only bug reported to me is this one (you can only have one dragdrop question per page). I have a fix available but I am unable to commit it to CVS because I havn't used anything like CVS, svn, git or that sort of horrible things for years and I wouldn't for all the money in the world !!!

So if anybody need it, just ask me !