XAMPP installation problems using Mac 10.5.8 (Fix Rights file NOT working / website files unidentifiable)

XAMPP installation problems using Mac 10.5.8 (Fix Rights file NOT working / website files unidentifiable)

by Sammy Sambris -
Number of replies: 4

The following were the instructions:

--QUOTE--
1 - Move the XAMPP folder into the Applications folder
2 - Go to the Applications folder
3 - Find the XAMPP folder and open it
4 - Doubleclick on FixRightsForMoodle to set the rights for Moodle
5 - Doubleclick the XAMPP Control icon
6 - Start Apache and MySQL
7 - Open the Link to Moodle19 or Moodle20
--UNQUOTE--

However, number 4 does NOT work. The following box appears. The file appeared in 'Finder' as 'FixRightsforMoodle.sh'. The 'password' field does not work because the box is like a photo - not interactive ... just like how a JPG file is where you can not type words into it.

--QUOTE--
Last login: Thu Apr 29 06:30:47 on console
/Applications/XAMPP/FixRightsForMoodle… ; exit;
address:~ myname$ /Applications/XAMPP/FixRightsForMoodle.s… ; exit;
WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.
To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
Password:
--UNQUOTE--

When I attempted #5 (from the above instructions), the following appeared (along with a window with buttons to start / stop 'Apache' and 'MySql'). However, which of the files or folders constitutes the 'website'? ('xamppfiles'?, 'logs'?) Please be VERY SPECIFIC by giving the path and name of the folders / files. (I also notice that I never saw any files with 'html' extensions).

--QUOTE--
You can put your Websites in /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs/ and access them via http://localhost/
Or you put your Websites in the Sites-Folder in your Home and access them via http://localhost/~computername/.
Whats the username and the password for MySQL?
Username: root
Password: No password
--UNQUOTE--

Needless to say, the whole thing did NOT work when I attempted to access the 'website' using either of the links given. All I got was a blank white page in my browser.

--SUMMARY OF MY QUESTIONS--
1. How can I overcome the 'FixRightsForMoodle.sh' problem?
2. Which specific folder(s) constitute the 'website'?
3. What else requires my action for this to work?

Very many thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sammy Sambris

Re: XAMPP installation problems using Mac 10.5.8 (Fix Rights file NOT working / website files unidentifiable)

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hi Sammy,

I am the maintainer of the Moodle4Mac package so I can tell you all the thing you want to know.

After you copied the XAMPP folder into your Applications folder you must fix the rights for the files inside the XAMPP folder. The script 'FixRightsForMoodle.sh' does everything for you but you need to type your password which you are using when you start your Mac. The password input is NOT shown in the terminal window so you can't see anything while you are typing. You have to press the return key at the end of your password.

The Doubleclick on the XAMPP Control icon opens the control buttons to start Apache and MySQL. Both programs must run to start Moodle on your local XAMPP server. Starting Apache asks for your password again. You do not need to install anything else to use Moodle from Moodle4Mac ... no additional file for a website and no other things! Sorry ... I should change the instructions window ... it shows the original instructions of the XAMPP package but no informations for Moodle.

I hope that you will get it running!

Ralf

In reply to Ralf Krause

Re: XAMPP installation problems using Mac 10.5.8 (Fix Rights file NOT working / website files unidentifiable)

by Susana Moodler -

Hello Ralf,

How does one disengage the terminal please?

I can not get the " Ctrl-C " to work to abort on my mac. I typed the the 'Control' and 'C' keys simultaneously but remained connected. I even used the 'Command' key just in case and used the '-' key in another attempt.

Please clarify.

Thanks Ralf.

Susana

In reply to Susana Moodler

by Lisa Christensen -

I couldn't get the FixRightsForMoodle.sh to work either. I solved the problem, by changing my rights directly on the Xammp folder in Finder, so I have full rights to the folders as admin. There is probably some dire security consequence that I don't know about, but it works.

In reply to Ralf Krause

by Michele Mason -

I have followed all the instructions but I still can't get apached to start....mayb something is missing. I'm going to try to just install xampp on it's own and then install moodle....fingers crossed.

It's very disapointing as in the documentation the claim is that "it is so easy"....NOT