block abusive user

block abusive user

by Baruch Sienna -
Number of replies: 3

I am sure that this has been answered, but I could not find it. I have deleted an abusive user from our open Moodle forum, but I would like to add his name (IP address?) to a block-this-user-list so he cannot re-subscribe.

I cannot see how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Baruch Sienna

Re: block abusive user

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have done something similar in version 1.9.x (not 2.0) for restricting access to IM using a clone/copy of the student role and denying access/permissions to IM and anything leading to IM - example: "student_no_IM".  Then assigning students that were to be restricted to the restricted role (student_no_IM) within the context of the course.  Makes no difference how that student logs on ... ie, what computer they use to access (IP address) ... their "no_IM" role restricts but only in the specific course.

Suggest one method might be creating a "student_NO_Forum" cloned role of your current "student" role and concentrate on the Forums section in the "student_NO_Forum" role for restricting.  In looking over them, it appears one might be able to allow an abusive user to view but not participate ... ie, reply, post, etc.

Comment: if student has been abusive in Forums, student might also be abusive using other tools ... such as IM or in blogs with comments.  One might be looking at the tip of the iceburg! sad

Best of luck!

in the 'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Stephen Bloomer -

I don’t know if you are going to be able to successfully do this.  If you block his account the user could create a new account with a new name and email address.

I take it from your question that you have the persons IP Address.  If this is the case you could block assess at either your servers or your networks firewall (I do not believe that this is a Moodle function).  The problem with this is that most households have dynamic IP addresses.  If the user turns off his modem/router for a short time there is a high probability, depending on which ISP he is using, that he will be allocated a new IP address.  May be worth a try as if he is accessing your site from work it could be a fixed IP.

I have blocked IP addresses ranges on my firewall, but in my case I blocked out a couple of countries that are known to be a base for hacking etc.  It was some time ago, a couple of countries in northern Europe.

I think most sites just disable the accounts of these users.  After they have been disabled a couple of time they should get the hint and go away. 

Good luck with this     

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Here on moodle.org, spammer accounts are blocked by editing the profile and setting the authentication method to no login. This means they cannot reuse their email address to create a new account. It seems to work well in making spammers give up!