Overlay - Navigation block partly covers activity report

Overlay - Navigation block partly covers activity report

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 21

Hi all,

On a test site I tried out Overlay, one of the Moodle 2.0 themes. When I want to see an activity report, the navigation block partly covers the activity report. Has anybody else experience the same issue? Any advice or help is very appreciated.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Navigation block covers activity report

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: Overlay - Navigation block partly covers activity report

by Steve Iman -

Though I've not experienced this with 'overlay', I have found another theme related issue which I'll post here. In developing a course, I often use "labels" on the topics page. Text which is typed into the html box does not appear once one submits the label text. If one switches the theme back to Standard, however, typed text is visible. Back to  my version of 'overlay' again, and the label text is not visible though if editing is turned on, all the relevant editing tools appear. I'm no coder, but I suspect some php statement was forgotten in developing a particular layout?

In reply to Steve Iman

by Patrick Malley -

HI Steve et al. - can you please post any and all issues that you find in the core themes to the Tracker? Posting your issue here for discussion makes sense, but to ensure it gets fixed in addition to talked about, the Tracker record is important.

In reply to Patrick Malley

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Patrick,

I created a Tracker record (MDL-25750).

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Steve Iman

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve,

I am not seeing this problem on my local moodle 2.0 with the Overlay theme. Are you typing "normal" text, i.e. un-formatted, no images, just a short text of a few words? When you say that the label text does not appear once it's been submitted, what are you seeing on your moodle course page where the label should appear? Nothing at all? a blank line, etc.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Steve Iman -

Thanks for the curiosity, Joseph. Much appreciated. The image below may help to illustrate. On the left is a course in edit display in "Standard". On the right is what appears in Overlay. Same course, same inputs - simple short text inputs to which the editor adds paragraph tags. It amazes me that this would not appear in another's version of Overlay and makes me wonder if the theme has been updated between our versions. Mine came from the install of Moodle 2.0 (Build: 20101125) if that helps.

Attachment overlayingStandard.jpg
In reply to Steve Iman

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Steve,

Thanks for the screenshot.

Got it!

For reasons of its own the Overlay theme will "blank out" the labels when you set the topic that contains those labels to "highlight as current topic". Actually, Overlay theme will set the text of labels in a highlighted current topic section to white!

Fix: in moodle\theme\overlay\style\core.css file, locate:

.course-content .current {
background: #1f5480;
color: #fff;
}

and remove the offending line

color: #fff;

Joseph

EDIT.- reported as MDL-25760.

EDIT2.- These other themes in the moodle regular distribution contain the same bug: binarius, boxxie, leatherbound, nonzero and serenity

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Whilst this is correct Joseph, it is strange that the background colour does not show up. After all color code #1f5480 is a dark blue/green and as such would compliment the white text in a normal situation. But why isn't it showing up as a highlight?

Interesting,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Joseph Rézeau -

Mary,

Well, the background color does show up, in the left and right "margins" on each side of the highlighted current topic. In the left "margin", text is correctly displayed (white).

The problem arises in that the color: #fff applies to the whole contents of the current topic section, thus displaying in white text over white background the label texts. There is no problem with the display of links to resources or activities.

This is a serious bug, preventing the display of label text in highlighted topics and should be fixed ASAP in all themes concerned.

Joseph

Attachment 21-12-2010 15-49-57.jpg

Moodle docs icon removal

by hugh kelly -

Mary, is there a way to remove the "moodle docs for this page" icon.  it clutters my page... and I just get too many questions about it.  Thanks for all your help... you really are the best... and I mean that!!!! Hugh

hjkelly@wsu.edu

In reply to hugh kelly

Re: Moodle docs icon removal

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Hugh,

CSS FAQ and Themes FAQ are good starting points for learning more about CSS and theming and should give you some pointers how to solve your problem.

See screenshot how to hide the helplink in the footer.

hth
Frank
Attachment footer helplink.png
In reply to hugh kelly

Re: Moodle docs icon removal

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, it is in the admin screens Page path Home / ▶ Site administration / ▶ Appearance / ▶ Moodle Docs. If you set Moodle Docs document root to blank, the links should go away.

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hartmut,

1.- I am not seeing this problem on my local moodle 2.0 with the Overlay theme.

2.- Maybe the problem arises from the fact that your report page seems to be empty. How comes it's empty?

Joseph

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply. In "View course logs" the display is okay in the Overlay theme, but when I click on activity report, the navigation block covers a part of the report. I installed Moodle 2.0 with Softaculous on a subdomain of our DE site. Moodle version 2.0 (Build: 20101125).

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Attachment Navigator block covers activity report.jpg

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The reason for the overlay of the sideblock is the fact the activity report is designed to open in the center column of a page, and is in actual fact a BUG or rather a problem which needs fixing. It would be better opening in a page where there is no sideblock whatsoever thus giving you more space.

However that said, the fact Overlay has a docking module shluld work to it's advantage. Meaning you should use this to dock the Nav block to the side and any other side blocks you have which are blocking your view of the report.

As for the Bug it's being tracked already as this theme is not the only one to have these display problems.

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -

yes, this table: #outlinetable is being given a set width of 2000px, not from the theme or even base/canvas.

If it had a width of 100% it would work fine.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Iman -

I'm not sure that I should post there here or not, though overlaps in overlay seem to provide the theme for discussion. I don't know if this has been reported to the tracker or not, and I make so many stupid errors, that I hate tying up the time of people who have only approached 40 or maybe 400 issueswink

But.. one can run into problems with Overlay following Mary's good advise to take advantage of blocking. It's sometimes more than a small struggle getting blocks undocked in this theme where the custom menu takes up real estate at the top. If there's an easy fix, that'd be cool, but I just pray I won't hit the wrong  blind button and have this thing go poof on mewink

Attachment navDocking.jpg
In reply to Steve Iman

by Mary Evans -

Looks like the z-index has not been set in the dock. Or if it has then it needs a higher value assigning to it.

M

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Iman -

You're probably right. The only reference to z-index in any of the css or php is to #page-header, which is given a value of 99999. I don't really understand css, though in the core css file, 'dock' appears in expressions like

.has_dock.side-post-only .page-middle #region-main-box #region-post-box #region-main-wrap #region-main {

margin-left: 200px;

]

.... and this shows no effort to consider layering effects?

In reply to Steve Iman

by Mary Evans -

Hi Steve,

If you open the pagelayout.css in Aardvark Lite theme, and look for the z-index element you will see at least three instances of it each with a different value. I think the original CSS for the dock is in either Base theme or more likely, Standard theme.

You could always try increasing the margin value for the first docking item that should shift it down a tad.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Iman -

Thanks Mary. So swamped trying to get three courses designed from scratch for 150+ next week that I'll have to hold off for a while and be careful of pokingwink