Group pictures

Group pictures

by Michael Govar -
Number of replies: 8

I'm looking for some code I can add to my current theme that will display the users group picture.  I am assuming this would not work on the main page, so it would have to be a forced theme inside the course.

I assumed someone else has already done this before, but I could only find the group user pictures block.  That would work, but I only need/want the group picture (not the users).

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Govar

Re: Group pictures

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Michael,

Your post seems to have got lost in the flurry of activity of recent days since you posted this.

Can you explain to me exactly what you want to do, as your question does not seem to make sense to me, mainly because I've never seen a group picture.

However, reading your post again, I am wondering if it is you would just like to list your Groups with their appropriate Group Picture...right?  You could do this in the Site topic I think.

I'll have play at trying to do this and get back to this post ASAP.

Sorry for the delay in replying!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Michael Govar -

No problem at all, sorry about my slow response. 

When I create a group I can upload a group picture.  I was trying to see if it was possible to put that picture in my header based on the current users group inside a course.

This may be easier in Moodle 2.0 with the cohorts...?  Which i'm downloading now and am going to test out.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Michael,

Would this image be available to all those in the same group. Is that what you mean, so that when the log in their group image show in the header much the same way their user picture would in certain themes, like Aardvark for instance?

If this is what you mean then this should be possible with a little coding.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Michael Govar -

Exactly.... where anyone inside that same group would have their group picture displayed.  Yeah it could be in place of the user picture like in Aardvark.

Do the Cohorts have a picture displayed like this in 2.0?

I ask because then it would be site wide... in 1.9 I'm assuming it would have to be a course theme because there are no front page groups.

by Mary Evans -

I don't know too much about Groups or Cohorts, but if these are really one and the same then I am assuming they will have a group type picture.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Iman -

This is an interesting issue, and though I don't have a solution, I'd like to know anything I could about these group pictures in Moodle 2.0. Where one creates a group for assigning students, there is an opportunity to upload a picture. I've tried that, and then allocated sample students to the group/team. In fact I was able to assign a student to two such within-class teams (I think cohorts may be 'teams' composed of students within the site but across classes?)

I have no idea where this group photos appear, though I'd love for teams to have a home page or forum for shared activities, or publishing wikis to the site learning community. I've not yet stumbled on to many uses of this image.

I did note that when a student posts to a forum to which others are subscribed, the subscribed student gets a copy of email which is pretty html intensive and includes a photo from the author's profile. In my experiments, the student who I had assigned to two groups also had forum posts which produced "crashed graphics" which I think may be poorly pathed thumbnails to the images for groups that the author is a member of?  I've left a post in the general problems area hoping that someone familiar with Moodle 2.0 group images and email templates might be able to help.

In reply to Steve Iman

by Steve Iman -

Update: I've been tracking the proelem here, and the 'crashing' of graphics seems to be a local issue, likely with Macintosh Mail as an html reader. I saw the original email, which had been forwarded to my desktop in the "all mail" folder at gmail, and the group pictures appeared there. Interestingly, when one clicks the team image in email, one is sent off to a profile page with direct links to the profile of teach team member. I don't see that these start toward a "team page" appear in the Nav menu anywhere, but URLs could be linked to the team pages and put into the custom menu.

In reply to Steve Iman

by Michael Govar -

Sounds like it would be easier to do in 2.0.  I'm installing now and will post if I get anything working.

We are using moodle in more of a portal for multiple companies to visit, so more branding is going to help sell the product and increase overall use.