DIfference of cohorts and groups/grouping

DIfference of cohorts and groups/grouping

by JM Ferring -
Number of replies: 12

Dear all,

I'm confused as I do not get the difference between cohorts and groups/grouping in moodle 2.0.

Am I right to understand that cohorts are nothing else than site-wide groups?

Thank you or your help.

Jean-Marc

Average of ratings: -
In reply to JM Ferring

Re: DIfference of cohorts and groups/grouping

by Kymm Nelsen -

JM, I found a great article on Groups vs. Groupings. http://docs.moodle.org/en/What_is_the_difference_between_groups_and_groupings%3F 

I would appreciate something similar for using a Cohort vs Group? Anyone have some tips or insights?

Kymm

In reply to Kymm Nelsen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

My understanding - and I am still learning - is this;

Cohorts are groups of users made by site admin that can be enrolled in courses "en masse" . So you could have a cohort called, for example, January Intake.

You can go to your January Maths course and (if you have the permissions) enrol the whole January Intake cohort at the click of a button.

However...

the cohort is enrolled as separate users in your course. So if you are used to having your users split up into groups, then you would still need to create groups. You could make an empty group and then move all the users from the cohort into that group - for example.

So cohorts are sitewide groups you can bring into your course. But they are not "groups" as we know them in an individual Moodle course. Indeed - you could enrol a cohort and then split them into several different groups if you so wished inside your course.

(Groupings are different from groups and they are the same in Moodle 2.0 as they are in 1.9)

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kymm Nelsen -

Mary, thank you for the explanation! That helps clarify site-level (cohort) vs. course-level (groups & groupings).

In reply to Mary Cooch

by JM Ferring -

Hi Mary, Hi Kymm,

Thank you for your help. smile

I think I got it now. Cohorts are site-wide batches (not groups again wink) that allow to organize the students to facilitate enrolling and student administration.

In reply to JM Ferring

by Isabelle Langeveld -

So, as I understand you could put all the first year students of 2011 in a cohort and enroll them all into a course.

But if you want to filter results or f.e. attendance by class (1A, 1B), you would make groups in the course and add the students to the right group.

Usually a class follows a number of courses in the same composition. And you don't want to put the same students in the same group for 10 courses. There should be a automatic procedure for that. Can you do this in a bulk upload? So you add them to a cohort and enroll them. And then you divide them up in groups? What would be the best procedure?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Isabelle Langeveld

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hello Everyone,

Cohort can be created site -wide as well as category - wise. 

When Cohort is created site - wide then it can be used in any course available on site. Whereas when Cohort is created category - wise then it can be used only in courses which are available in that category.

Cohort helps to enroll a bulk of user in one go.

Now in Moodle 2.2 we can also upload users in a cohort through .csv

We have to only prepare the excelsheet with the following parameters :-

username,password,firstname,lastname,email, cohort1
where cohort1 is cohort ID.
You can read more about it from here:-
http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Cohorts
In reply to S. kavita

by Mark Lynch -

I hope someone can read this.

When I uploaded a csv file it only worked successfully when I removed the cohort name as per the example above.

My question is. Must the cohort already exist in Moodle for the csv file to have that as a field??

In reply to JM Ferring

by José Mata -

Hi all !

My approach has been as follow:

1.- Define cohorts for the site-wide minimal unit of grouping among the users population, for example, classroom mates (1A, 1B,...,9A, 9B). category/division teachers (Arts, bio, math,... teachers), parents, supervisors.

2.- As an arbitrary rule, users must belong to one cohort only.

3.- In front page or course level, create one group and one grouping per each required cohort (they do not have to be all the existing cohorts).

4.- Any required supra-group or sub-group shall be solved thru group/grouping facilities.

I do not know if this is the way that the moodle designers had in mind regarding cohorts/groups/grouping but i think It might work fine.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers!

In reply to José Mata

by Raymond Culp -
I started working as a trainer on a Moodle-hosted site about 9 months ago and was perplexed by this distinction from the very beginning.

I have experience as a Windows domain admin and it still makes zero sense to me. I want to have containers (groups) for my users and containers (courses) for my resources (learning material). I then want to be able to give my groups of users access to different courses. As far as I can tell, that's all you need. Or does someone disagree?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Raymond Culp

by Hans B0s -

What are people and/or activities/courses in a collection?

Is it a group? or is it a cohort?

A lot of users may think of  a group as some kind of class that all started in the same year (cohort) and will be guided by the same person (teacher) all there school career long.?

My student start all over the year. Do tests when they are ready for it. Follow different studies at different speeds. Change classes etc. etc.

Therefore, it would be nice if the model of groups/containers in Moodle changed to something more dynamic.

I'm a Moodle user since version 1.x and use 3.1.1 now a days. I guess theres a brilliant idea behind the Groups/Cohort thing but I haven't found it (yet).

Hans.

In reply to Hans B0s

by Paula Clough -

Cohorts are created at the top admin level of the Moodle site. They can be used to to register the entire cohort into courses such as a course that has general information on the program or the school.  They can also be used at a course category level.  Groups are usually created within the course. These will allow the teacher to assign course materials for different groups of students.  They can be used so that those not in a group assigned to that activity, assignment etc. won't even see it.  They can also be used to allow students to work together in a group in say a forum without other members of the course  being able to post to other groups' posts.