Pre-submission/Post Submission Assessment Form

Pre-submission/Post Submission Assessment Form

by Vernellia Randall -
Number of replies: 4

David, I had requested a way to have a pre-submission assessment form and a post submission assessment form. As I discussed before it is needed so that the post submission assessment form can have more detail in order to assure a "more accurate" assessment by the peer. But of course such detail would give away the problem. For the last four years, we have had to modify every workshop assessment form twice. at the beginning of the assignment and before assessment. I can see that has changed in moodle 2.0. If it was not "fixed" can you move it high on the agenda for 2.1.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vernellia Randall

Re: Pre-submission/Post Submission Assessment Form

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oh, I'm sorry Vernellia - I must have missed your post somehow! Yes, I remember this feature request. As I said before, it basically depends on whether you use the same strategy for both forms or not.

If you use one strategy for the first form (eg comments) and another strategy for the second form (eg accumulative), you can prepare them in advance already. Workshop supports strategy switching so that you can use one form to assess example submissions and then switch the strategy.

If you use the same strategy for both example submissions assessments and peer submissions assessments, you have to modify the assessment form during the workshop run. Workshop can not hold two instances of the same type assessment form at the moment (like one Choice does not support two different sets of selection items). So you have to modify the assessment form after the example submissions are assessed. Alternatively, you could use two workshop instances - one for the pre-submission assessment and the second for the real one.

Sorry, I can't promise any specific fix version for your request. But I would like to address it in some future version, for sure. It is clear that workshop will need some better management of assessment forms. At first, export/import functionality is needed (imho) to allow re-usability of assessment forms in other workshops. We may even think of sort of Assessment forms bank like Question bank we have. I hope that would help you with your issue, too.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vernellia Randall -

"it basically depends on whether you use the same strategy for both forms or not."

We  do use the same strategy. The difference is the post-submission form provides more detail on the answer to the problem - which assures that the student makes the most accurate assessment.

you have to modify the assessment form during the workshop run. Workshop can not hold two instances of the same type assessment form at the moment

Yes, this is exactly what we have been doing and it is very onerous.  I do at least one workshop per week per course.  The alternative you propose earlier is the ability to upload two forms and switch between the forms would be ideal. I agree with the export/import feature.

I am very disappointed that the post-submission assessment form issue didn't get address.  I'll put the request in as a suggestion.

Thanks for the work you did on workshop I am looking forward to using 2.0 in January.

In reply to Vernellia Randall

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I fully understand your disappointment. However, there were (and still are) more significant issues with Workshop that influence all users. It is my duty to prioritise issues that affect wider community over individual use cases. Thanks for your understanding.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vernellia Randall -

I do understand your decision to prioritze.

However, I object to idea of this being a single use case. There are several of us using moodle in law schools and expansion of use of workshops is hampered by this limitation. Second, others may also have this issue or concerned.  Generally, in a large community where one person voice a concern, some others also have it. But I understand your need to make choices.  Given your view that this is a single instance case, What I will do from here is to seek input from the larger community to determine if others would like to see this greater flexibility in workshop assessment forms.   Thanks Vernellia