Error 406 - Not Acceptable

Error 406 - Not Acceptable

by Jacob Poirier -
Number of replies: 4

Hey guys, I'm a student using the moodle and I'm having some issues logging in to the moodle. I have two teachers that both require me to log on to the moodle, and I get a 406 error when I try to log on from any computer in myhouse (I've tried several desktops, my laptop, and my iPod touch). When I try to log on at someone else's house, or on the school computers, I encounter no errors. The error message that appears is the following:

"406 - Not Acceptable. An appropriate representation of the requested resource /moodle/login/index.php could not be found on this server. Additionally, a 404 not found error was encountered while trying to use an Error Document to handle the request."

Also, none of my classmates are having this issue, and I have scanned my computer for viruses, and spyware and I removed them all. My cookies are also turned on. I would also like to add that I get this error not only when I log on, but also when I click the "Yes, help log me in" button for forgotten passwords.

Any help would be appreciated, because it's a crucial part of my courses and I have material to submit which must be done through the moodle system.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacob Poirier

Re: Error 406 - Not Acceptable

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you provide us with a link to your school Moodle?

The error message you are getting is a webserver error message not a specific moodle error...

In reply to Jon Witts

by Jacob Poirier -

Jon - Here's the link to the moodle http://southlionscience.com/huff/moodle

Matteo - I'm sorry, I'm not really tech savvy and I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about, could you clarify please?

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jacob,

you should contact the system administrator in charge to administer the box on which your Moodle is running and forward him this thread.

ModSecurity is a web application firewall that can work either embedded or as a reverse proxy. It provides protection from a range of attacks against web applications and allows for HTTP traffic monitoring, logging and real-time analysis.

As Jon said, it sounds like an error coming from your server and not directly coming from Moodle code: IMHO mod_security could be the reason for such a behaviour.

HTH,

Matteo

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jacob,

sounds an action triggered by mod_security, better the ruleset you're using with. If confirmed, take a look at your Apache logs: you'll find the rule id your Moodle is offending and that's good starting point to understand the scope of the rule and how to relax|disable it e.g.:

<Directory "/path/to/moodle">
<IfModule mod_security2.c>
SecRuleRemoveById <id>
</IfModule>
</Directory>

HTH,

Matteo