running extemely slow when import and eidit grades

running extemely slow when import and eidit grades

by jiangyan Huang -
Number of replies: 3

We use moodle 1.9.1 to keep students' grades. Now we have 3,400 students in campus and there have been more than 1,700,000 records in the database This semeser, we find more and more difficult to import and edit grades (especially grades with feedback).The site will keep runing for more than two hours to update the gradebook of one course.

We have deleted the grade history and logs about user activities but did't work.

Could you please give us some suggestions?

Many thanks

Jiangyan

In reply to jiangyan Huang

Re: running extemely slow when import and eidit grades

by Julien Boulen -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

We got the same issue. We use moodle 1.9.10+ and have a course with 3,900 students.

Grade_grades table got around 310,000 records. On edit in gradebook, there are many "copying in tmp table"/"locks" in database (mysql).

I followed this advice but it seems not enough.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

In reply to Julien Boulen

by Bob Puffer -

Not sure if this will help both situations but might help updating a large gradebook.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Julien Boulen -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I'm still thinking problem is around database, because pages hang for a long while. Database queues queries and if there is a lot of activities on server, database can even crash.

For the moment, I escape compute() function from lib/grade/grade_item.php by returning TRUE. Computed fields aren't generated, but it works better.

There is already an opened bug report (#13426). I guess it's the same problem.

Anyway, thanks for helping.