I'm looking into eLearning, rapid content, authoring tools that work well with Moodle. I'm hoping that I can get some feedback. Here are my requirements.
1. Easy to use.
2. Must produce ADA/Section 508 accessible content for people with disabilities.
3. Reasonably priced.
4. I need a tool that can produce to the web in HTML format and publish to a CD/DVD. Must also produce SCORM compliant content.
If you think I should start with the Moodle editor, please let me know that too.
I've researched SoftChalk. The webinar I was in made the product look fantastic!!! I loved what I saw. I just read a review about it and the reviewer was let down a bit. For the academic world he gave it a grade in the eighties. Any comments on SoftChalk?
Thank you so much!
Thank you so much for your response. I will check it out. Take care and have a great Thanksgiving.
Before spending your money on commercial products, you might like to explore what the free tools (modules) integrated into Moodle can do, for example, Quiz, Lesson, Book, Questionnaire, Feedback, Wiki, Hot Potatoes/QuizPort, and many others.
- CourseAvenue has focused on enabling the development of ADA/Section 508 compliant eLearning (http://www.courseavenue.com/accessibilityplayer.aspx). Accessibility is built into a pre-certified ADA/Section508 compliant technology letting authors focus on content not the technicalities behind compliance.
- Published courses are SCORM 1.2/2004 compliant and work well with Moodle (e.g. bookmarking, time in course, assessment scoring, etc.). You can also publish for CD/DVD delivery.
- A PowerPoint Import utility lets you get started quickly. Basic content editing is very simple and SME-focused. For programmers, there is also a complete API for advanced programming/integration options.
- There are a have a wide range of pricing options
My "weapon of choice" for serious content development are the Adobe Presenter and Captivate products... discount for education organizations.
It is ADA/Section 508 accessible, see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Captivate/4.0/Using/WSc1b83f70210cd1011d7107e311c7efcf707-8000.html and http://www.access-board.gov/508.htm
We all love Opensource and things we don't have to pay for... at some point we must also look at the our overriding objectives with content, quality and achieving desired objectives and outcomes-- thus enters Adobe!
Secondly, my other weapon of choice with reference to (wrt) authoring tools for exams is ExamVIew; extremely flexible, multiple use and delivers... so there you have it!
Maybe you could elaborate on this? Due to a recent client request I have been looking for a tool that would allow me to make standardized timed test to CD The last time I did it was some years ago with Director but I have a hard time believing there is not something better now.
There is a free tool EXE. Just google it.
www.SlideGo.com provides free authoring enviroment within Powerpoint (Windows only). One advantage over other authoring tools would be the animation and multimedia capability. The tool add additional interactivies such as drag drop, quiz, etc... If you have Iphone/Ipad test the samples on the site, they are animated interactive lessons made in Powerpoint and exported to HTML5 (of course they run on all other browsers too).
On accessibility requirement should be easy to comply since the output is HTML. Let me know which particular accessibility you will need I can check for you.
LearnMax, part of Kochar offers Custom Content Development, a courseware developed to meet unique training development needs of clients. It is end to end training solution starting from content design and development enabling you to upgrade and enhance training requirements.