MySQL Cluster

MySQL Cluster

by Matthew Frick -
Number of replies: 3
If I implement moodle I am thinking of doing so with a MySQL Cluster. I have not ever implemented a Cluster (for MySQL) and was wondering if anyone on these boards had yet. If so how did it perform with moodle (wouldn't expect any specific problems as is just php and mysql), was it easy to set up, was any specific tweaking needed etc etc

The main reason I am thinking of implementing a Cluster is for failover if one database fails.

which reminds me of another question. does the MySQL Cluster have any notification method for if a node goes down?

Thanks for your help

Matt.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Frick

Re: MySQL Cluster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have done *some* work in this area but not with Moodle. There are issues - I *strongly* suggest that you get hold of a copy of O'Reilly's book 'High Performance MySql' which will tell you what you need to know.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Rahim Virani -
Hi,

I did some research over here prepping for MySQL clustering,

the table types that mysql uses for cluster NDBCLUSTER are not compatible with Moodle, the MyISAM table type is, MyISAM is the default but you cannot effectively cluster it other than doing multi-master replication.

On another note I saw a post that would allow me to set a single moodle instance to fail over to a second database by modifying the $CFG variable in config.php but I cant find it.

Anyone?

In reply to Rahim Virani

by Ken Wilson -
I remember this too - but cannot find it. MDL-823 is closest - but I'd worry about the security of that post. Anyone else please?