Using HTML in a jcl file

Using HTML in a jcl file

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 4

Hi Gordon,

If you remember you helped me solve my combination Dewplayer/Flowplayer problem by using the jcl files.  I have discovered that when students view the quizzes in RTL mode - as most do here in Israel, the full stops are in the wrong place, as in the attached screenshot.

I can live with the instructions being the wrong way round if needs be, but I would like to have the full stops in the body of the text in the right place.  You taught me how to effect this in the html files but I don't know how to do it directly in the jcl file.

I tried: html dir="rtl"><big>text</big></html

but it didn't do the trick.

Could you please advise me?

Thanks very much.

Deborah

Attachment jcloze_rtl.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Using HTML in a jcl file

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deborah,

you can only have one <html> tag in a document, so I am not surprized that adding extra <html> tags has no effect.

However, I think you can use that "dir" attribute on other block elements too, such as a <p> tag in example on the followinbg page:

You could also try the <bdo> tag:

here's hoping!
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -

That's very helpful Gordon, thank you!

Using the <p> tag I was able to get the body of the jclose to behave as I wish:

p dir="ltr"><big>text</big></p

Using the <p> tag didn't help with the instructions so I tried the bdo tag. It sorts out the English text but not the Hebrew.  If anything is glaringly obvious to you from the following code that might be causing the Hebrew text to act as ltr and not rtl text, I would love to hear.  Otherwise I will live with the full stop on the Hebrew text being in the wrong place, as in the attached screenshot (though I am sure it looks far worse to my Hebrew speaking users than it does to me...):

div class="Titles" style="position: relative"><a > link to help video</a>[type_gaps.mp3 dew]<bdo dir="ltr">Play the video then type the missing words in the gaps.</bdo><bdo dir="rtl">.נגנו את הווידיאו ואז הקלידו את המילים החסרות בתוך המשבצות </bdo></div

Thanks so much for your help.

Deborah

Attachment jcloze.gif
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Deborah Delin -

OK, after much fiddling I seem to have solved my ltr/rtl issues for the moment.

In case anyone else ever needs to put both rtl and ltr language instructions in an HP quiz and wants to use the xml (jcl) files, this combination worked for me:

<bdo dir="ltr">English instructions.</bdo> <p dir="rtl"><center>RTL language instructions</center></p>